Clogged pipe connecting all bathroom appliances

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick-Nation

Reaction score
:confused:Today I came home to find the toilet full of water. I immediately started plunging and found that it was backing up into the bathtub. I tried plunging the bathtub but that did not help since there is the full-tub drain.

I cannot afford to hire anyone and this is urgent as I am currently without anywhere to clean myself :D

Someone had suggested I use an auger, but then another said that it may mess up my pipes. How do I know if an auger is right for me? And what kind of auger should I use?

You have a main line stoppage that is beyond the point were the tub connects to the main line. The main line needs to be snaked.

How do I make it to the main line? Would the snake go straight from toilet to tub?

I've already solved the problem with draino, lots of pots of hot water and patience.

Not to be mean, but no you haven't. The problem is still there, with a hole burned through it. Next time it clogs up, the clog will be longer, and harder to clear.

Not to be mean, but no you haven't. The problem is still there, with a hole burned through it. Next time it clogs up, the clog will be longer, and harder to clear.

Yeah? Well, what now? That was hardly constructive.

I'd like to add that after "clearing" the blockage the kitchen sink started to back up.

Like John said earlier, the main line needs to be snaked with a full size head. Probably through the toilet flange.

I'm all about being frugal myself, but sometimes we all have to "pay the piper" and I'm also recommending what these two professionals have mentioned.

Thank you, ladies & gentlemen.

Would you recommend me hiring someone to do this or is this something I could handle myself? I'm quite handy, I like to think.

If I can do this myself, what materials and tools will I need? What are the steps to completing this job? Is there I guide I can find anywhere on the forum (I'll check now but if someone knows where it is I will appreciate that)?

Thank you, ladies & gentlemen.

Would you recommend me hiring someone to do this or is this something I could handle myself? I'm quite handy, I like to think.

If I can do this myself, what materials and tools will I need? What are the steps to completing this job? Is there I guide I can find anywhere on the forum (I'll check now but if someone knows where it is I will appreciate that)?

Should I also consider snaking other drains in my house, considering its history? Maybe even consider purchasing my own snake?

For the price of a machine that is of the proper size to snake a mainline with a full 3" or 4" head, and the danger of injuring yourself, I don't think it is worth it to DIY most drain cleaning tasks. Even resetting a toilet correctly, where it won't leak now or in the future, is a lot more difficult than most people think it is.

Edit to add: Check out this thread http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1838

Last edited:
For the price of a machine that is of the proper size to snake a mainline with a full 3" or 4" head, and the danger of injuring yourself, I don't think it is worth it to DIY most drain cleaning tasks. Even resetting a toilet correctly, where it won't leak now or in the future, is a lot more difficult than most people think it is.

Edit to add: Check out this thread http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1838

What would be the cost of hiring someone to do so? I have a hard time trusting anyone who offers services. Last plumber who worked here should never be employed again, that son of a *****.

Cleaning a drain doesn't really require a plumber. Lots of companies specialize in drain cleaning. Try YELP or a search on web before you hire.

I rarely use yelp but glad I did a couple weeks ago. had 2 estimates for 3 windows. $4500 from one, the other was only $1500 for all three installed.
The later seemed like a good deal. nation wide company. 256 yelp reviews and mostly all bad. 3rd estimate only $1600 installed. All yelp reviews 5 Star all Great reviews.

Look for a clean out outside around the perimeter of you house.

Cleaning a drain doesn't really require a plumber. Lots of companies specialize in drain cleaning. Try YELP or a search on web before you hire.

I rarely use yelp but glad I did a couple weeks ago. had 2 estimates for 3 windows. $4500 from one, the other was only $1500 for all three installed.
The later seemed like a good deal. nation wide company. 256 yelp reviews and mostly all bad. 3rd estimate only $1600 installed. All yelp reviews 5 Star all Great reviews.

Look for a clean out outside around the perimeter of you house.

Unfortunately my house does not have one. It was built in '46, will that be a problem?

Every plumber here offers services....you don't trust us?

Woah, woah, woah. If I didn't trust you I wouldn't have come here for help. I live in Miami and it is incredible apathetic, the amount of people who have complete disregard for your life is atrocious. I would not trust a plumber I called up on the phone here in Miami, or any other service for that fact.

I came specifically to this forum because here is were I will be educated without bias to who I am, I am not looked at like a customer who is willing to pay the price to solves his problems. I want to truly explore my options and make an educated decision on the matter.

And you have been tremendous help as a matter of fact.

How does a plumber know which snake head to use in my pipes? In other words, how does he know the diameter of the pipe? Is there a standard or is it more trial and error? What are the ways of damaging a pipe and how does it happen?

^Should all houses have clean out pipe? I have not noticed anything of the sort at mine.

Plumbers will usually guarantee their work, so it is in their best interest to take care of your needs the first time. Not to mention that a happy customer will be a repeat customer.

Plumbers will usually guarantee their work, so it is in their best interest to take care of your needs the first time. Not to mention that a happy customer will be a repeat customer.

Not the case. Could we please focus on my current needs before my plumbing is done for again.

IMG_20150319_120755.jpg

IMG_20150319_120822.jpg

IMG_20150319_120828.jpg

IMG_20150319_120845.jpg

IMG_20150319_120914.jpg

Latest posts

Back