how to replace THIS water supply valve *immediately*!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiiGame

Reaction score
Please Help! I suddenly have no hot water (in 6:30pm 20F temps) until I can fix this!

After a clothes washer repair, my hot water supply value dripped from the stem when open, but then also when closed, and then it started hissing at me. It's all green around the stem. I relieved the pressure by shutting off the water to the water heater (so we at least have cold running water) and opening all the hot water faucets in the lowest level (where the problem is).

By all accounts this should be easy for a novice like me, but I have this setup:

- copper pipe running vertical from the ceiling to about chest level
- a brass 90 degree elbow with "1/8" stamped on the side to bring it out horizontal
- a brass supply valve screwed directly into the elbow
- threads from the supply valve into the elbow are visible
- on the threads: what looks like dried yellow glue

Basic Questions:
1) How do I get this valve off?
2) What do I replace it with?
And how would I do that (if not obvious)?

Detailed Questions:
1a) Do I have any hope of unscrewing these two with wrenches (to replace just the supply valve) or are these 2 brass fittings joined forever? I do have a barely used pipe wrench set.

1b) Would a hand-held butane torch (or whatever it's called) melt off this glue? I have one of those if it helps.

2a) Is there any way I'm going to be able to get a 1/4 turn compression valve onto this by the end of the ordeal?

2b) Is there any way I can solve this without soldering (which I can barely spell, much less perform)? I have almost no confidence, and certainly no tools, for that.

Please post a pic so we can help you.

Sorry, didn't know. Plus, I'm guessing at how to do this right in these forums, so please correct me. I didn't find a recommended way to share pictures in the Help (I did look quickly).

Can you see them? (I can't in the preview but it could be my browser.)

water-supply-area-375.html

hot-water-supply-leaking-376.html

EDIT to also try this (b/c I'm not seeing the pix) ...

1) Laundry water supply area

2) Close-up of problem hot water supply

pf1.jpg

pf2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't panick. All you need to do is tighten the packing nut which should stop the leak. The blue corrosion on the packing nut (not blue handles) indicates leaking there.

If tightening the packing nut fails to stop the drip, it appears you can just unthread the valve and replace it with no soldering. The yellow stuff appears to only be Rectorseal #5, and is used as a lubricant/sealer pipe dope. A crescent (preferable) or a pipe wrench will make fast work of the replacement.

Well, that did it, folks. Thank you very, very much!

(Also thanks for linking the explanation of the packing nut; I was going to have to look that one up to be sure.)

After I did the hot, I noticed the cold needed it, too ... then also the cold going into the water heater when I turned that back on. I have several toilet supplies I thought I would have to replace, but I may be able to use this knowledge all over the house!

I'd be ecstatic if I wasn't so exhausted. But truly I am happy and grateful to have hot water, (by extension) a dishwasher, and a clothes washer again.

Latest posts

Back