Gurgling noise at toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmaxfli

Reaction score
I have a toilet that sometimes does not flush at all when pushing the button. It doesn't back up on me but the water wont go down. If I flush again then it usually goes down - although somewhat weaker than I'd expectl. We also smell sewer from there (occasionally).

I decided to take the toilet completely off and inspect. While doing that my wife was washing dishes in the kitchenand I could hear a percolating sound of water down in the waste pipe of the toilet. I can also see the edge of the water down in the waste pipe - about 2 feet down. I'm wondering if I have a clog. Is there a suggestion of what else I can do/check at this point.

thanks much
Rob

Last edited:
It sounds like you have an issue with the vent. Possibly a clog. You said though that if you look down the toilet drain you see water sitting there?

Yes - I can see the very top edge of the water as the pipe bends down there.

Yes - I can see the very top edge of the water as the pipe bends down there.

That water shouldn't be sitting there like that. You might have a partial clog. I'd reconmmend snaking from the toilet drain. If you'd like to try it yourself, you can rent them.

I got up on the roof and looked down the vent pipe with a flashlight. i had my wife turn on the faucet - I could see water entering into the vent pipe way down there. I then had her pour a bucket of water down the toilet hole in the floor - I could see water entering the vent pipe as well.

I got up on the roof and looked down the vent pipe with a flashlight. i had my wife turn on the faucet - I could see water entering into the vent pipe way down there. I then had her pour a bucket of water down the toilet hole in the floor - I could see water entering the vent pipe as well.

Sounds like the vent is clear then. I Still say you have a partial clog since you can see water in your toilet drain.

Latest posts

Back