Faucet stopped working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanTF

Reaction score
Recently, I've become the caretaker for my Grandfather's house. There was an issue with the bathroom faucet, the hot water would turn on (Far more then just a drip) when unattended.

Figuring I'd need to replace it, I used the handles beneath to shut off the water (Specifically, to the Hot Water knob.) I assumed, until I had a replacement squared away, I could just turn the water back on underneath when I needed to use it.

Now, the problem: The water, both hot and cold, are almost completely off, and will not turn back on. I have tried turning both knobs beneath the sink as far as they'll take in either direction, it doesn't matter. Other plumbing fixtures, like the shower and toilet are working fine.

I would appreciate any help, I am about as unlearned as one can be when it comes to plumbing.

Sounds like you have to replace those two angle valves . Take pictures of them go to home depo find identical ones and put on you're thinking hat and get busy .

Thank you. Should I turn off water for the house first? To test if water was flowing I very gently began to unscrew them, re-tightening them when I noticed the water dripping out, so it would seem it's still getting some.

...If so, I'm also curious how I would shut off water to the house.

Main water line should come through basement wall or if its on a slab somewhere up through the floor in a closet. Check the aerator too...it could be plugged from broken down rubber from valves. angle valve handles spinning round and round is not a good sign....good luck.

take off the aerator on the faucet. probably got a bunch of crude it it when you turned the angle stops. or disconnect the water supplies to the faucet.
if they are one pc supplies ( meaning the supply tube is not removable from the valve ) you are better off just replacing the valve.
They seem easy but I know experienced plumbers who have trouble with them sometimes, including myself.
Replace with a 2 pc, valve and detachable supply

1pc.png

Latest posts

Back