Toilet install question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gevaudan

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old toilet where the outlet of the toilet is sealed in place in the opening of the outflow pipe in the floor. The new replacement toilet is shrouded so once the outflow pipe of the toilet is fitted into the existing outflow pipe and the toilet's attached to the floor, I wouldn't be physically able to get to the pipe join to seal it with anything, e.g. silicone etc.

My question is: Is it enough to just put the outflow of the toilet into the mouth of the outflow pipe and trust gravity to stop things coming up the pipe? Presumably the shroud siliconed to the floor tiles would contain the sewer smells...?

Please see images below for clarity.

This is the replacement toilet:
https://www.masters.com.au/product/...H5TLvuLwiijrsw__.ncdlmorasp1203?bmUID=kHiDWNz

Thanks, hope someone can help!

toilet-existing.jpg

toilet.jpg

you need a floor flange for the type of toilet you are installing
it should resemble this,,,yours might be cast iron.

the other picture is a cross sectional, of the piping configureation.

the flange sets flush on the floor

can you provide a picture with the toilet pulled?

GenovaProducts-4-x-3-Sch_-40-PVC-DWV-Pop-Top-Closet-Flange.jpg

Attachments

• installing-a-toilet.jpg
    installing-a-toilet.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Wow. Never seen a toilet like that that before.

Are those common in Austrailia? Frodo is presuming that the one you selected is like /similar to types we use here in the US. But looking at the drawing it's not. Check with the manufacture . I'm sure they have a seal that goes with it. Similar to a wax seal we typically use on flanged attached toilets. Post back and let us know what you find . Curious as to what you find

I have heard that in Australia, toilets do not use wax seals,, instead they use an seal that fits inside of the 4" pipe and around the horn of the toilet. I can only assume that this is what the OP is dealing with here.

Thank you very much for the helpful feedback, it is much appreciated! I have done a lot of Googling and had feedback elsewhere and it turns out that with my existing toilet the WC outlet pipe is Lead, the Collar is Lead and the joining compound is Bitumen. Apparently this used to be very common where I am.

Apparently I need to cut back the pipe a little under the floor (not difficult as my house is raised and access is easy underneath) and connect one of these to the existing pipe: http://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-100mm-m-f-pvc-dwv-pan-collar_p4770373

The outlet from the toilet pushes into this and the rubber creates a seal.

It is indeed true that we do not use wax rings in Australia (I noticed this method while searching installation videos on youtube).

Again, thank you for your replies!

Crazy contraption! I like it!

Does the water really flush the other way down there or is that a myth?

Latest posts

Back