Is this legal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackJ

Reaction score
Can a shower be the wet vent for a toilet assuming the shower has a proper vent on it of course?

Put another way. See below picture. Is this legal?

Background: Space constraints prevent me from wet venting the toilet with the lavatory while complying with code and leaving ample counter space.

Untitledjhgjhg.jpg

There is no basin it's located elsewhere and absolutely positively cannot be tied into this setup.

I live in iowa under IPC adopted code.

Frodo why isn't it legal? If the fixture at the end was a lavatory instead of a shower it would be legal right? So why not a shower?

Illinois code is somewhat based on UPC and I think this would pass inspection if the drain and vent are both 2" and the developed length from toilet to vent is less than 4 feet. And, the vent is connected to the shower drain at a 45 degee roll or more upwards to help keep it "dry".

a water closet is 3 fixture units [residential tank type] the drawing shows the w/c wet venting the drain for the shower
that would make the minimum size of the vertical pipe to be required to be 1 pipe size larger than the upper drain.
in this case 4'' it does not meet the exception, 3''
also, the toilet itself is not vented in that picture.
the vent must be above the flow line of the w/c.

to make that drawing work with a 3'' pipe..move the terlet to below the shower drain, vent it

Untitledjhgjhg.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that the "one size larger" issue had to do with the up stream or vented system. In the case of a lav used as a vent for a toilet the ordinarily 1 1/2 inch lav drain has to be upped to a 2" drain and vent to in essence accomadate both water from the lav and still accomadate air for the toilet at the same time. The toilet drain does not need to be upsized.

Correct me where I am wrong.

As for the current question, I think codes do not allow tubs to wet vent a WC the same way as a lav is allowed. Why, I have no idea. It seems to me to be the same physical thing.

Hey Frodo, I do not know your experience, expertise, and history here on this board and I know I am not by any means a trained plumber, however, I believe the issue at hand is an issue of horizontal wet venting and you have cited vertical wet vents. If that is not the case please explain why?

I believe the wet vent is the drain section between the dry vent for the tub and on down to the toilet discharge. If that is the case the wet vent is sized per the upstream fixture (ie tub) and upsized by one diameter.

NO?

Hey Frodo, I do not know your experience, expertise, and history here on this board and I know I am not by any means a trained plumber, however, I believe the issue at hand is an issue of horizontal wet venting and you have cited vertical wet vents. If that is not the case please explain why?

I believe the wet vent is the drain section between the dry vent for the tub and on down to the toilet discharge. If that is the case the wet vent is sized per the upstream fixture (ie tub) and upsized by one diameter.

NO?

yeah man! you got me on that. your drawing is legal. would I do it that way?

NO,

I prefer not to install using the minimum standards.

it gets you by, its legal, it is what it is, minimum standard

I would do it this way. th0XHKHXWP.jpg

Hey Frodo,

I am not saying the original drawing is legal or is not legal. I really do not know. I would think it would be fine, but maybe not legal. As for your suggestion of adding a separate vent for the WC, probably is the best. But do you have too? I am not sure.

When I have TRIED to read the code on wet venting it APPEARS to me to be saying you can use a lav for a wet vent but can not use a tub or shower or washing machine or anything else. Could some one tell me if I am reading that correctly? If I am reading it correctly then the original picture is not legal.

As for your post, I was just saying that your arrow was not pointing at a vent of any kind, just the WC drain and it appeared you were looking at the wrong section of code.

I am by no means a practicing plumber so an very very reluctant to tell anyone on this board anything.

I post to learn and to clarify.

Thanks everyone.

Would the vertical drain from the sink be considered the wet vent for the tub drain? Sink being 1-1/4" or 1-1/2". vertical drain 2".

To eliminate wet vent just run another vent for the tub trap arm.

Would it be better to connect the horizontal drain from tub and sink to stack with a wye or combo?

th0XHKHXWP.jpg

the code, as i understand it, says
wet venting is limited to vertical drainage piping receiving the discharge from the trap arm of 0ne [1] and two [2] fixture unit fixture that alsp serves as a vent for not to exceed four [4] fixtures.

a lav f/u is 1 and a tub/shower is 2

washing machine is 3

the reason a tub cant be wet vented is .."wet vent shall

be within the same story as the wet vented fixture" see drawing

does anyone agree?

th0XHKHXWP.jpg

Hey Frodo,

As for your post, I was just saying that your arrow was not pointing at a vent of any kind, just the WC drain and it appeared you were looking at the wrong section of code.

I would agree. Frodo may have to rethink his reply. The 4" he is referring to is not a wet vent due to the vent already on the trap arm.
If you eliminate the original vent ( where the sink was scrubbed out of the picture ) and move it to the stack , then the section between the Closet bend and the tub drain would be a wet vent for the tub.

zz.jpg

Last edited:
the reason a tub cant be wet vented is .."wet vent shall

be within the same story as the wet vented fixture" see drawing

does anyone agree?

Is not the Tub (fixture) located on the same story/floor as the wet vent even though the tub drain is below the floor?

add a vent for the tub , problem solved.

th0XHKHXWP.jpg

I would agree. Frodo may have to rethink his reply. The 4" he is referring to is not a wet vent due to the vent already on the trap arm.

True, i am having a problem with the take off for the vent being under the
the horiziontal trap arm.

granted, 905.5 states. except for w/c and simular fixtures, shall not be below the trap weir.

i do not think that applies here. the way that vent is configured.

from the 90 to the tee has no vent. just as a combo installed on the vertical has the vent cut off.

correct me if i'm wrong, but thats what i see

th0XHKHXWP.jpg

True, i am having a problem with the take off for the vent being under the
the horiziontal trap arm.

granted, 905.5 states. except for w/c and simular fixtures, shall not be below the trap weir.

i do not think that applies here. the way that vent is configured.

from the 90 to the tee has no vent. just as a combo installed on the vertical has the vent cut off.

correct me if i'm wrong, but thats what i see

Don't think you can classify increasing the vertical section to 4" as a wet went without a dry vent coming in from the top.

Latest posts

Back