Clogged toilet -in the crown?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sftanguero

Reaction score
Had a clogged toilet (organic, not kids putting toothbrushes etc) which was plungered for 20 minutes and finally snaked. It was clear that organic material had been pushed into the crown, which is where the clean water is released to flush down the sides of the bowl when flushed. So now when the handled is depressed, the water doesn't have enough volume/pressure to dispose of any material in the bowl. I believe organic material has gotten into the ceramic crown and is preventing a good flow of clean water. I have tried one organic dissolver by putting it in the tank and then flushed so as to get it in the crown. Then I let it sit for a couple of days but to no avail. I will try some other dissolvers but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. As a last resort I fear I will need to replace the toilet.
thanks.

The small holes in the rim of the bowl can be cleaned with a stiff wire.

I use an allen wrench because you can choose one from the set that is not to small or to large. The holes are at an angle so the wash down helps with the vortex.

I have never seen what you have described occur and don't think it is possible but there are a lot of variations as to how a toilet was made so I won't say it is impossible

See for yourself. Typical toilet design. This one I actually cut in half myself. Kohler Wellworth Lite

015 (400x300).jpg

imagesG81H8NTM.jpg

images.jpg

Last edited:
Hello David,
Thanks for the idea of using a wire or allen wrench. I will give it a try. The toilet I have is a different design. It functions like the one in the attached picture and is different than the image you shared with me. The toilet I have, a Kohler k4590, has a clean water flushing exit hole in the base of bowl near the throat of the waste exit. I presume that the water coming down from the crown holes plus the clean water flushing through the hole develops enough force to drive out the waste.

However, the more interesting part and what is now clear to me, is that if there is waste in the bowl when using the plunger, the force of the plunger can send waste back up through the clean water flushing hole and put waste into that hole and into the crown holes. And, this explains, why in some cases when this toilet has been used with a plunger, that for a week or so, waste particles can be seen coming out of the crown holes. It now makes sense how the symptoms fit the design of the toilet.

So, I will try the wire idea. However, is there a chemical I can put in the tank that is effective at dissolving the organic material trapped in the crown without damaging the valve parts? I tried some organic product which did not work (super digestit).
Thanks.

AS_Cadet_flush_large._V136219507_.jpg

I know of nothing to pour into flush valve. If what you put in there was a powdered enzyme product it may have contributed to your problem rather than solve it. Enzymes are very slow in dissolving organic material. they work better with warm water, not hot. Good luck.

If anyone is out there reading this, I have figured out one thing that may help others prevent this from happening. It turns out that the kind of plunger that one uses makes a difference. The best plunger is one that has a 'nozzel'or flange that fits firmly in the waste exit throat so that all the force is directed into that exit. The kind of plunger I had which is flat bottomed pushes the waste water both into the waste exit and into the clean water flush out thus pushing the waste water up into the crown. You can see the two different types in the attachment. The flat bottomed plunger I have come to learn is a sink plunger and not to be used for toilets. I never knew!
And finally, the toilet is beginning to work as it should as the organic material is dissolving over time thank goodness. Thanks for the help on this forum. Greatly appreciated.

plumbing7.jpg

Latest posts

Back