Tankless- excessive propane usage?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntinsonovagun

Reaction score
New house, 20 days in. We've gone through ~120 gallons of propane and haven't had the furnace running at all- not even once.

I do have a range and direct vent fireplace that have been used a little, but not excessively by any rate. I'm also not closed to the idea that one of those appliances may be the culprit. I just don't know much about tankless water heaters and just wondered if someone here may have an idea as to where 120 gallons of propane may have gone in 20 days.

Entire system was pressure tested, but having it done again next week. I have to think it's a appliance not operating at peak efficiency. Thanks!

Oh yeah- it's a Navien NPE-240s

Have you had a shard drop in temperate after your tank was filled. When you buy propane they fracture in the temp and and convert to to 60 degrees so you are paying for your net product not the gross that your gauge is telling them. That being said your LP company will never fill your tank over 85 percent. So to get to my point are you sure your LP cooled of and condensed in your tank giving the appearance of your taking going down too quickly.

That is simple math to figure that out. My whole point is if the tank got filled and the product was 75 deg and now the out side temp is 50 degrees the gauge will go down. As you said that gauge tell you the percent of liquid in there when to order and to stop filling. To know how much gas that is in there you need to know the temp. That is why your bill will tell you that it is corrected to 60 degrees

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. you do not need to know the temp.
propane is a liquid, it is put into your tank as a liguid.it does turn gaseous as you use it
your gas supplier should be bleeding the tank as he fills it with liquid propane

below is a chart from a local gas supplier

Reading Your Propane Tank Percentage Gauge

Use the following chart to read your tank guage and calculate the gallons of propane remaining. Remember, a tank is filled to a maximum of 80%.

Number of Gallons Remaining

Gauge Reading 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%

120 Gal. Tank > 96 85 72 60 48 36 24 12

150 Gal. Tank > 120 105 90 75 60 45 30 15

200 Gal. Tank > 160 140 120 100 80 60 40 20

250 Gal. Tank > 200 175 150 125 100 75 50 25

500 Gal. Tank > 400 350 300 250 200 150 100 50

IMPORTANT: Order more gas before your tank gauge reads below 25%.
20% 24 30 40 50 100
10% 12 15 20 25 50

Running Out of Gas
You can avoid out-of-gas deliveries by calling Herring Gas before your tank gauge reads 25% or lower. Even if your gauge registers 5%, your tank may in fact be

Last edited:
I apologize I don't know how else to explain it temp makes a big difference. When I fill my propane bottle at the terminal I can load 10500 gallon of water capacity There is a big difference of my weight when the propane is at 0 degrees as to when I fill the same bottle when the product is 70 degrees the net gallon are no where close to to each other. The gross tell you how full to fill your tank. You pay your bill by the net gallons the only whey the two will be the same is if the LP is 60 degrees.

Sorry we all learn something I do however have a unfair advantage though. I do this for a living. I don't deal with the small stuff in people yard however I do fill the big tank for the dealers. Have a great day

Latest posts

Back