Washing machine drain is backing up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIJeff

Reaction score
Hello all! My washing machine drain is backing up and I can't figure out why..

I bought my house a few months ago and it came with a 2010 Samsung VRT washer and dryer. First couple of uses, the washer leaked a little bit but stopped on its own after 3 or so times. I never determined (never looked...) the cause of that leak since it was minor and fixed itself. The washer then functioned fine for about 3 months until I sold it and installed my other set, 2012 Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum. The newer washer backs up in the washer drain every single time, and it is quite a bit of water. I have a 1" washer drain hose going into a 2" drain pipe.

I've poured Draino into it, I've used a short plumber snake (barely reached the trap) and pulled nothing out, and I've used one of those balloons that expands in the pipe and spray a small stream out (admittedly, I may not have used it properly or did any good with it). The drain pipe itself does drain water - I've put a garden hose in it on full blast and it didn't back up. I guess the washing machine just puts out water so fast it does back it up..

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? I have almost no plumbing experience but want to learn and try to do as much on my own as I can. Thank you!

Older homes often have only a 1-1/2" drain and stand pipe. New washers have higher pump outputs and some of those old drains just can't take the higher output. 2" is the current required drain size.

Reactions: SHR
Thanks Mr_David. I do have a 2" drain pipe installed. I'm going to try to attach a pic of my setup. Thanks.

image.jpg

DO NOT put chemical drain cleaner in metallic drain piping systems. The chemicals tend to eat away at the inner wall of the pipe and will cause either rough pipe that collects debris or even eat completely through the wall of the pipe.

My eye might be lying to me, but I think that your standpipe is 1 1/2" copper. Have you measured the OD of the pipe?

Either way, I would try having a pro come and snake/jet the standpipe, trap, and drain pipe. That will most likely resolve your problem.

The pipe is 2" in diameter and is 24" long (above the trap). I'm really trying to avoid getting a plumber out here - any other suggestions? Thanks.

THIS>>>>right here is WHY I think the international code is a bunch of crap!!!
I dont care where you live or what code you are under.
a wash machine drain NEEDS a CO. if your smart. you will install it above the washer. so you do not have to move a washer full of water

so does a kitchen sink!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, My rant is over, blood pressure coming back down, just ignore my rants, I forgot my medicine.......

Latest posts

Back