Newbie doing a bathroom remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
Hello plumbers and diy'ers

Can't tell you how excited I am about undertaking this bathroom remodel. Trust me when I tell you I have developed a new and deeper appreciation for the trades out there. Respect to you all!

Some questions have arisen from a shower relocation I am doing. The showerhead used to be on the right side of a shower (looking in) and I wish to move it to the left side. That requires me to move the supplies. I took up the subfloor and found some things that I have questions about. They are:

1. How far apart do cold and hot water copper supplies have to be? Can they touch? Should they touch? Also, at the stub outs how far apart should they be?

2. The bathroom I am remodeling has the toilet supply t'eed to the cold supply for the shower, it runs along the joist cavity that the supply is in to just past the toilet drain (the toilet is situated to the right of the shower), 90's back towards the back wall then goes through another joist and 90's back to the left to where the toilet cold water supply is (back left hand side). In effect they have made a giant J-shape with the copper. Why did they do all of that instead of cutting across the floor joist, under or over the toilet pvc drain pipe and into the next joist bay? Is there a code issue that doesn't allow the copper pipe to run under/over a pvc pipe? It looks like they made a special effort to do what they did.

3. What is the best way to remove toilet and shower drain flanges so as to not disturb the existing drains?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back