Tempering valve problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroPress

Reaction score
(This seems to be the right forum - mods please move to General Plumbing if that's more appropriate.)

BACKGROUND
House is about 12 years old and has a combo hydronic boiler/tankless water heater. It uses a tempering valve that's been problematic since we moved in four years ago - water temp fluctuates from day to day and sometimes during use. I finally figured out the system and tried cycling the valve from min to max, tapping on it with a wrench, etc. and was able to get a decent and reasonably consistent temp out of it. (During this, the tip of the adjustment stem broke off and I had to use a small vicegrips to adjust it, and later JBwelded a new handle on. I wasn't rough, honest!)

PROBLEM
Last week, the temp plummeted to about 15 degrees over cold water temp and no amount of adjustment, banging, etc. would fix it. Since it's a Watts 70A, I took a chance on buying a whole new valve (because stores that carry just the repair kit aren't open on weekends, and I wanted to replace the busted stem as well). The valve is of course at the lowest point in three stories of plumbing, so I had to work fast, but I managed to replace the whole screw-in bonnet assembly.

NOW THE PROBLEM
I briefly got very hot water up the outflow pipe, then it cooled and now no amount of adjustment will get the temp past about 105F - from ~165-175F tank temp and 60F cold supply. The hottest output is somewhere in the middle of the adjustment - turning it hotter reduces the temp as much as turning it colder.

The old valve was fairly clean, just some surface patina. The water that came out of the valve on disassembly was lightly milky and then clear. I didn't have much chance to look into the valve body, but it looked clean other than surface patina. (We have conditioned and softened well water.)

What in the heck is going on with this valve? Why does an entire new core not produce normal adjustment range? Is it possible that the cold-water valve fixed in the body is messed up somehow? (I would have to drain all the hot lines to look, which would be a PITA as there are no floor drains in the basement, so I hope to avoid that.) If I pull the new assembly back out, what flaws should I look for or test for?

OTHER PROBLEM
It's completely secondary, but the valve is 1/2-inch and the cold inflow and hot outbound are 3/4 like the rest of the house. The valve is plumbed in with reducers from the 3/4. I am not sharp on this kind of tankless heater, but it seems to me like the installer used a half-inch because it was cheaper or he had it in the truck, and the valve should really be 3/4 to allow better hot water flow, which we could use. Is there a good reason a 1/2-inch valve might have been used? If this whole fix involves replacing the valve body, would it be worthwhile to do it with a 3/4? Or is there something about the balance of flow that necessitates the smaller valve? (I can post a pic of the installation if that would help.)

Long, I know, but I wanted to avoid days of back and forth questions... thanks for any insight or help!

It's right at the outflow of the mixing valve - I can monitor it by the pipe temperature - and affects all hot water in the house.

Yes, it's plumbed correctly (both as you describe and according to the port markings). This is an installation that's been working, more or less correctly, for over 12 years.

Some further experimentation seems to show that I can get to the 50-50 mix point in temperature, but no higher. With the incoming hot around 165 and the ground water cold around 60, I can just barely tease the setting to about 105F. Turning the valve towards either end point from there causes a drop in temp.

Is it just not possible to get a higher percentage of hot into the mix than cold - such as 65% hot and 35% cold?

dont know, consult watts literature about that
google watts 70 a.

which is original valve
lf70a 120--160
or
lfl70a 100-130

when you changed out the inards, which one did you swap it with
lf70a or lfl70a

have you taken the t-stat out and cleaned it?
as per manufactures maintaince
could just be gunked up

i sugest you have a ball valve installed in your incoming cold line. i do not understand why you dont
every fixture is required to be valved, that is a fixture

honest answer to s to the size. it was probably cheaper, happens all the time
it will not affect pressure or volume

Last edited:
The original valve and the replacement are LF70As - from what I understand, it's actually hard to get the low-temp version.

The entire valve - bonnet, stem and thermostatic capsule - are swapped in new. The only original parts are the body and the cold-water poppet valve.

I wasn't able to look into the valve and see if the poppet is in any way gunked up. If I get there, it will be a chore to drain enough of the water system to be able to leave the valve body uncapped. (Lowest point of the whole plumbing system, and no floor drains.)

I don't see a need for a check valve on the cold line - the cold line comes in and tees to the water heater input and the tempering valve. There's nowhere for backflow to go. (The system was professionally installed to code, so I assume code/local code/the inspector agrees.)

About the only thing I can think of is that the cold water poppet is being prevented from closing all the way, or sufficiently far, and is thus holding down the mixed temp even when the valve is set for the highest temp. Not sure how to fix that without replacing the valve body, at which point I'd want a 3/4 valve, if not a better industrial thermostatic valve.

http://media.wattswater.com/1910210.pdf

note the installation requirements, and start up procedure

note requirement for a throttle valve and ck valve

dont mean to an arse, but just because it was installed 12 years ago, does not mean it was installed correctly

probable cause "C" answer "A2" and "C1" . "C3"

i think its been a problem for 12 years, you said its been a problem since you moved in.

Latest posts

Back