Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Leak at threads

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Leaksealer

Default Leak at threads

Hello,

I have a 6 - year old 40 gallon Whirlpool gas hot water heater that is leaking at the cold water input threads. It looks like the installer cross threaded it. Can anyone recommend a way to repair this leak? I unscrewed it last year and applied a healthy coat of jb weld on it but it seems to have not done the job.

Thank you,
Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 502 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I would never recommend using JB Weld on plumbing pipes. You will need to disassemble the cold water "input threads" and fix the problem correctly. If the pipes are damaged from being cross threaded, replace them and use teflon tape to reassemble. Are you certain this was not caused because of failing to install a dielectric union?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 543 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Is your problem at the top of the nipple where the flex line is attached or the bottom where it attaches to the heater? If at the top you would need to remove both the flex line and the threaded nipple and replace both and if it is at the bottom you will have to replace just the nipple and maybe run a tap through the heater threads and reinstall with teflon tape.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Leaksealer

Default At the threads in the hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is your problem at the top of the nipple where the flex line is attached or the bottom where it attaches to the heater? If at the top you would need to remove both the flex line and the threaded nipple and replace both and if it is at the bottom you will have to replace just the nipple and maybe run a tap through the heater threads and reinstall with teflon tape.
Hi Havasu & Chris,

There are no dielectric unions installed on this water heater. It is pex throughout the home and 18" of copper pipe at the water heater.
The heater was installed in 2004 so I am not sure if dielectric unions were required by code then. I suspect the threads are damaged beyond repair. Can I tap them out to a larger size?

Thank you,
Jim

Old 07-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

No, you cannot change thread sizes by tapping, unless you cut off the old threads and start over. Since this would be a PITA, you can clean up the thread so it will accept another pipe without cross threading, provided you use ample amounts of teflon tape or Rectorseal, which is my favorite. It allows lubrication when threading, and contains sealing qualities, and is easy to remove if necessary.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Leaksealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
No, you cannot change thread sizes by tapping, unless you cut off the old threads and start over. Since this would be a PITA, you can clean up the thread so it will accept another pipe without cross threading, provided you use ample amounts of teflon tape or Rectorseal, which is my favorite. It allows lubrication when threading, and contains sealing qualities, and is easy to remove if necessary.
Thanks for the help Havasu,

There are no dielectrics installed on the hot and cold line and now it appears that the hot water side threads are leaking too. Does this problem seem to have been caused by not having dielectrics installed, and if so, do you believe rectorseal will seal the holes? The problem's been going on for about 1 - year on the cold side and I tried to solve it by using jb weld. Once again, thank you for the help.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Even though you are running PEX, the dielectric unions are probably not required, but are cheap and it will give you new threads to work with. You can get the hot and cold set of unions for ~$15.00. Put them on with some Rectorseal and it may just solve your problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Leaksealer

Default Pilot wont light

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went out and purchased a new STATE 6 - year warranty water heater. It connected back together pretty simply but now I am having trouble lighting the pilot. I tried bleeding the system at the gas union but it still did not light.

Is there a way to bleed the gas valve directly?

Once again thank you for your help. I am learning a lot about water heaters today.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

I posted a possible remedy on a separate thread which you had started. I feel bad you are having these problems, but to quote someone famous, "Been there, done that!" Once you finally get this up and running, please follow up with a reply on this forum so that others may learn ideas if and when they have the same bad luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Leaksealer

Default wont light

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I posted a possible remedy on a separate thread which you had started. I feel bad you are having these problems, but to quote someone famous, "Been there, done that!" Once you finally get this up and running, please follow up with a reply on this forum so that others may learn ideas if and when they have the same bad luck!
I will definitely give you a briefing on the situation tomorrow.
Thank you for the help.

Tags
leaks, water heater, cross thread

Quick Reply