retro heat exchanger to radiators

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knakki

Reaction score
I have a warm morning hand fired coal stove to which i'd like to hook up my radiators in my home. there was an oil furnace that took a dirt nap in its place. the warm morning stove surface temps are between 400 and 650.

i've made a heat exchanger coil on my stove and would now like to plumb it into the existing 1 line radiator system. I understand it wont be ideal, and understand i wont have temperature control, that i dont care about.

Im not a plumber so i dont know scematics for plumbing fixtures but ill make a quick layout of what i'd like to do. what i dont know, is if it will work.

were do i install the pump? do i ened check valves? is there a better way to hook this system up?

plumbing.jpg

Last edited:
the picture is quite small after uploading.. but hopefully everyone can see it clearly.

also coming out of the tank on the right to the fat line is my radiator feed side.. also i want to put in an air seperator with auto bleedoff valve. I didnt know what that symbol looked like so i drew a line. haha

i have an expansion tank laying around i could put in.. the hot side or cold side? i'm not concerned with controlling it as its a poorly insulated house with 10 huge radiators in it. I also doubt that my heating coil would put out anything that would be considered too hot.

why not because its closed system? it was in use for over 65 years and worked just fine. just because its old and out dated and there are more efficient ways doesn't mean it wont work.

Latest posts

Back