garden tub faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeesnob

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a moen Monticello garden tub faucet. Hot water side was dripping so after blocking the water from that side, I need to replace the cartridge. I put a wrench on the nut with the red arrow and secured the the large diameter housing with the black arrow with a pipe wrench. First question. Is this the correct way to do this and secondly what is the secret to free it up? It seems to be extremely tight and won't budge. I am in no way a plumber.

faucet.jpg

Don't think that is a Moen. Defiantly not a Monticello.
You have another picture of the entire faucet?

That does not look to badly deteriorated. Try using a deep socket wrench and a drop or 2 of penetrating oil. A pipe wrench might pinch the outer housing preventing you from turn the cartridge out. I have used a basin wrench on the valve body below the counter to prevent turning the valve body, but that will take some long arms or a second person.

Last edited:
Thought maybe it was and old style Price Pfister so I looked around to see what I could find. The PP does not have the small threaded part just under the stem broach.I think this is a Newport Brass

NPB1-002.jpg

I will try the lubricating oil (wd-40) I think it is a moen maybe not a Monticello but it sure looks like one from intenet pictures. Wish these manufacturers would engrave their products.

The "large diameter housing" that your black arrow points to (with all of the exposed threads on it) should not have a pipe wrench applied to it. The nut below that touches the tub surface would be better suited for backing up with some pressure.
That nut actually looks like the mounting nut that should be on the under surface for tightening up to mount. Once you get the cartridge out post a pic to confirm. It looks like the Kohler K-301-K-NA.

K-301-K-NA_2.jpg

Last edited:
The "large diameter housing" that your black arrow points to (with all of the exposed threads on it) should not have a pipe wrench applied to it. The nut below that touches the tub surface would be better suited for backing up with some pressure.
That nut actually looks like the mounting nut that should be on the under surface for tightening up to mount. Once you get the cartridge out post a pic to confirm. It looks like the Kohler K-301-K-NA.

Well I just can't seem to keep that "housing" from turning when I try to remove the cartridge That's why I was going to put a wrench on those thread. I squirted wd-40 on it a few times yesterday and let it soak in I will try your method when I get home tonight. Thanks

If it is the Kohler valve that I have shown above, you may notice that it isn't a housing, but the entire valve body that is threaded. Those threads are also for installing the handle. If damaged, putting the handle back on properly will be very difficult or impossible depending on how badly the threads are gouged.
If it is at all possible, get the back up pressure on the valve by reaching one hand under the tub through an access panel. If the valves (hot and cold) are tee'd together and connected to the spout with copper pipe and you twist the valve, you run the risk of causing a leak.

If it is the Kohler valve that I have shown above, you may notice that it isn't a housing, but the entire valve body that is threaded. Those threads are also for installing the handle. If damaged, putting the handle back on properly will be very difficult or impossible depending on how badly the threads are gouged.
If it is at all possible, get the back up pressure on the valve by reaching one hand under the tub through an access panel. If the valves (hot and cold) are tee'd together and connected to the spout with copper pipe and you twist the valve, you run the risk of causing a leak.

the people who plumbed up the tub did not put in an access panel and they did not put in a shut off valves on the lines going to the tub.

Latest posts

Back