Neptune Ecoder 900 = 17,000 gal usage per month

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie2624

Reaction score
My question is this, I live in a town where they are using the Neptune E coder 900 meter on the inside line coming into the house in our basement, and have a badger read o matic water blue box on the outside of our house. Our town switched over to these a few years ago, ours suddenly "broke" they said in sept 2013, prompinting a new meter to be put on. The next few months we were charged for 13,000 gallons used. Then 15,000. Then in December 17,000 gallons used, this while we had our washer/dryer and second bathroom all disassembled and not hooke up because of renoovations we had started. So in two weeks we used 17,000 gallons so the meter tells them. WE have had professional plumer (2 actually) check for leaks. We have NO leaks. Our bills are still at 15,000, 13,000, now for two months 10,000. Is this meter the problem or is it their computer system interpreting it? Our city refuses to pay to put a new meter on and keeps telling myself, along with 12 other indivduals that we all have leaks. Yes almost a year now and no luck. I am a family of one adutl and one kid. My friend's family of one adult one kid has been charged 13,000 gallons for 8 months now. Can anyone please offer any insight. There was a single 67 year old man who was just charged 17,000 gallons of water, and guess what they keep saying its a leak. Of course they have an issue somewhere?? Wouldnt that mean crediting us thousands of dollars? My water normally is 3,000 gallons. So now instead of 30.00 a month I pay 150 for water. Any help or suggestions would be so great. Are these meters the problems? Is it the software?????

Check your meter twice daily and write the reading down for a week just as evidence instead of seeing the results monthly. You plumber should also check for backflow conditions or piping connections before/too close that the meter could be reading as additional water useage.
A customer of mine a few years ago had the same problem and it was an error on the readings from the water company. The water company was adding an extra zero on to the number of gallons being used. Logging the readings twice a day (like 6am,6pm or 9am,9pm) could help your case especially if you do it for a whole billing cycle. If you do notice a huge increase on the readings maybe look into the possibilities that I mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back