New bath plumbing and faucets, low water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delafurie

Reaction score
This past weekend, I had the "ancient" plumbing in my 2 bathrooms upgraded. I have one bathroom with a shower closet and it had 2 faucets: one for hot, one for cold. The master bathroom, had a tub with one faucet for hot, and one for cold, and one in the middle that turned the shower head on. Apparently this style is no longer much in use so my plumber recommended upgrading my plumbing and replacing the faucets. getting the kind of shower/bath tub that has a circular dial in the middle with a lever that you move around to turn the water on and off. The bathtub now has a bypass that activates the shower.
I waited about 36 hours for the tile to dry before I tried to take a shower in the bathroom with the bathtub. It seems to have very low water pressure and there's no way to increase it. When the water comes out of the shower head it arches downward - it won't even spray in a straight line.
My question is, is this low water pressure problem the result of something done behind the tiles in the new plumbing or more likely caused by the new faucet? And is there anything that can be done to fix this? Am I going to have to open the wall up again?
I wanted to try changing the shower head to the one I used with my old plumbing - it's a shower massage that screws on, but the new shower neck is not the screw on/off type. It's got a large round ball on the end and I have no idea how to get the shower head that's currently on it, off.
I contacted the plumbing company and they have referred the matter to the plumber who did the work. So far he's just busy playing phone tag.
Can someone please tell me? Is major work going to be required to fix this? I'm wondering where I stand as a consumer with the plumbing company. I spent $1182 for the work on the bathrooms. And 2 weeks ago I spent $1128 upgrading the main plumbing lines in the basement.
What if they tell me there's nothing they can do or that's just how the new plumbing works. Is this acceptable? Is this normal?
The fact that the company doesn't seem to be in a much of hurry to address any of my concerns has me worried.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

If the pressure problem is the shower only then just maybe it's the shower head. The shower head may have some debris in it from the repairs. Post a pic of what you have and myself or someone will guide you through on how to remove the shower head.

Here are some pics. This is in the master bathroom - the one with the tub. The smaller one with the shower closet is still under construction so I won't be using that one anytime soon.
I'm not too worried about getting the shower head off. I'd rather just replace the shower arm with the one I had before. I'm hoping my plumber, if I ever reach him, will at least do that.

Bathroom1.jpg

Bathroom2.jpg

Bathroom3.jpg

You need to replace the cartridge. That is a Moen balance pressure faucet. If they set for a long time without use the balancing spool becomes frozen. Call Moen they will send you one free of charge.

Awesome! Thanks for both super fast replies.
I'll let you know how it goes if or when I hear from the plumber.

Latest posts

Back