Threaded male copper adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4evrnyt

Reaction score
The diverter valve I've ordered for my shower has threaded inlets. My question is, should I screw in the adapter first and then solder the pipe or vice-versa. Also do I apply anything to the threads on the adapters before screwing them in?

Thanks.

No solder mip on first then use thread tape and pipe dope the thread on diverter

solder mip's on to pipe first,then cool down with water. Then apply tape and dope then thread into valve. If you have to solder close to valve after that soak a rag in water and place over valve closest to the side you are soldering.

Proper way to solder is not to use water to cool joint. Cold water causes fractures in joint. Let joint cool naturally. Then thread tape and dope.

When I thread the mip into the valve with the tape and dope do I go hand tight or do I want to use a wrench? If I wrench it do I bury the threads all the down?

Before I solder past the point of easy undoing I wanted to get feedback on what I'm doing. What blatantly stupid mistakes have I made with this setup? I don't have the elbows for the shower heads yet.

002.jpg

001.jpg

You need to be absolutely certain that you can plug off the unused outlet on the diverter like that. Many diverters require you to pipe all outlets to something, even if that gives you a redundant function.

You need to be absolutely certain that you can plug off the unused outlet on the diverter like that. Many diverters require you to pipe all outlets to something, even if that gives you a redundant function.

The valve has two inlets, top and bottom with the primary outlet being on the right and the secondary on the left. The valve came with the plug to use if you only had a single inlet.

I hope you guys aren't just being nice and don't want to hurt my feelings. I'm going to solder it all together on Tuesday or Wednesday so please let me know if you have any doubts about what I've done.

Latest posts

Back