Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Leak under sink need help

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
Fightingfungus

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Leak under sink need help

I was attempting to changed kitchen faucet. The bolts on the water lines were so tight that I believe I may have damaged the water valve (were the water shuts off under sink) I have the water valve off but I still have a leak. Any one have any idea how I screwed up and how I could fix it. Will probably call a plumber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 502 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Without a picture, anything would just be a guess.

1) How about tightening the packing nut, which is located behind the handle to the valve?

2) With the aid of a bucket, have you tried opening and closing the valve numerous times to see it you can stop the water?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
journeyman
the professional

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Turn water off to house and install new quarter turn valve. They leak because they are never used and calcium builds up. Once seal is broken they leak.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
Fightingfungus

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Without a picture, anything would just be a guess.

1) How about tightening the packing nut, which is located behind the handle to the valve?

2) With the aid of a bucket, have you tried opening and closing the valve numerous times to see it you can stop the water?
I tried that. The sad thing is I could not even remove the old faucet. Everything is wound up very tight, I could not even remove the bolt with a basin wrench. The bolt is huge and basin wrench hardly fits over. I tried w40 and still can't get it.

Very frustrating

Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 478 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Plumbing repairs can definitely be very frustrating.

It is rather common for the supply valves under a sink not to hold and leak slightly. The best fix for that is usually to replace them.

A corroded faucet can be a real pain to remove. Sometimes a Dremel tool is the easiest way to get a nut off.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673

SHR Likes This 
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
Fightingfungus

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfood View Post
Plumbing repairs can definitely be very frustrating.

It is rather common for the supply valves under a sink not to hold and leak slightly. The best fix for that is usually to replace them.

A corroded faucet can be a real pain to remove. Sometimes a Dremel tool is the easiest way to get a nut off.
A plumber came out today and took care of the job. He changed 2 water valves, 2 faucet connectors and installed a faucet for me that I purchased. The job took him 1.5 hours and he charged me $200.

My dad said he ripped me off and it should have been(120-140 tops). I thought the price was fair being he came out the same day I called him.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
johnjh2o

Liked 399 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 254

All Dads think that prices are to high. I put myself in the same category. We are living in a older time when prices were lower.

John

Last edited by johnjh2o; 04-30-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
CT18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Most rates are around 150 an hour depending on where you live. I remember a few times explaining to customers that you take your car TO a mechanic. When you are sick you go TO the doctors office. I am sure if you brought your plumbing to them it would be less. Service companies have fuel and insurance charges for vehicles that factor in with all other expenses. They also have to stock parts on the vans.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
SHR

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingfungus View Post
A plumber came out today and took care of the job. He changed 2 water valves, 2 faucet connectors and installed a faucet for me that I purchased. The job took him 1.5 hours and he charged me $200.

My dad said he ripped me off and it should have been(120-140 tops). I thought the price was fair being he came out the same day I called him.
Price was very fair considering the amount of skilled work done. Thank you for understanding the fairness of the price. When someone expresses their opinon that the charge "should have been..." I tell them, "great, go ahead and do it." They never take me up on it.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
havasu
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 502 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I myself am pretty frugal, and will do pretty much anything to save a buck. Looking at the amount of work the professional did for you, I also don't feel he charged you that much.

Quick Reply