Temperature setting on Hot Water Heater, cost effective?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
Does it cost the same to maintain a higher temperature setting as a lower temperature setting in your hot water heater? I think the initial startup from a lower setting to the higher setting causes the higher cost, but once you are at the desired temperature, shouldnt it cost the same to maintain that temperature whether it is 110 or 160 for example?

Besides for the risk of bacterial growth with lower temps, what do you guys think cost wise?

A lower temp setting will cost less. I would not set the temp below 125 or higher than 135/140 for residential use.

A lower temp setting will cost less. I would not set the temp below 125 or higher than 135/140 for residential use.

Well explain? Why would a lower temp cost less given the circumstances? Initial startup I understand it will cost more to get from a certain temp to a higher temp. But who is to say that a higher temp loses heat faster than a lower temp, costing more? I would appreciate your reasoning behind " lower temp costs less", thanks.

Are you talking about operating cost or standby heat lost ? Here is a chart on average operating cost - plus or minus some factors.

Water Temperature - Scalding Rate - Annual Electricity Cost
150° F - 2 seconds - $346
140° F - 15 seconds - $312
130° F - 20 seconds - $276
120° F - 10 minutes - $242

Last edited:
It is probably not enough cost to notice on a bill. If worried about cost install a tankless heater that way it only turns on when you turn on a faucet

It is probably not enough cost to notice on a bill. If worried about cost install a tankless heater that way it only turns on when you turn on a faucet

Depends on where you live i guess, and what kind you put in (gas...electric...etc..)

Theres quite a few people who have put electric tankless systems in here, and i havent met a single person who is happy with it. Power bill is thru the roof, and thats understandable. Why would anyone want anything without storage? If i take a shower, im going to max out a 100amp panel for 20 minutes? Wheres the savings there.

A well insulated electric tank doesnt sit there and charge for 24 hours, obviously theres thermostats. Some are more efficient then others.

Wel matt noone has said anything about it being an electric heater. I am assuming it is gas so a tankless would be more efficient. Ifixh20 is also assuming it is electric. Of course an electric tankless is not efficient. So maybe the person writing for advice should put all the facts up so we know exactly what we are dealing with.

Well actually it is an indirect hot water heater running off a natural gas fired condensate boiler. But to keep things simple, it should not matter whether it is electric, gas, woodfire because I was asking if it costs "more, less, or same $", "not how much $" - to maintain a higher temperature vs a lower temperature. We are comparing apples to apples here despite what fuel is used. And we are not comparing first time startup costs to initially get up to that desired temperature. My theory is that a higher temp would not lose heat any faster than a lower temp, in turn costing same to maintain, but i could be wrong. I appreciate the responses.

First of all john it is not t water heater. It is called a water heater. If it was a hot water heater there would be no need to heat it. I think you are reading to much into it and it does matter what fuel you are using. Electric cost more than gas. Wood is probably cheaper than them both. Once the correct temp is achieved the cost difference is unnoticable. It will cost a little more to go from a low temp to a higher one because you are demanding more output. A heater should maintain about 125-130 degrees. your heater will always maintain what ever heat you set it at. Unless you are running ten fixtures at the same time you will not notice a cost difference that small. You are not giving a reason as to the motive behind your question. Explain the details behind your concern about cost. I would say to set your water heater at a certain temp then turn it up wait for your bill to arrive and see if you notice a big difference. Then try to pinpoint the cost to see if it was because of the heater or because someone cooked noodles a little to long that month. Your question and your responses are redundant and your not giving all the facts behind your question.

First of all john it is not t water heater. It is called a water heater. If it was a hot water heater there would be no need to heat it. I think you are reading to much into it and it does matter what fuel you are using. Electric cost more than gas. Wood is probably cheaper than them both. Once the correct temp is achieved the cost difference is unnoticable. It will cost a little more to go from a low temp to a higher one because you are demanding more output. A heater should maintain about 125-130 degrees. your heater will always maintain what ever heat you set it at. Unless you are running ten fixtures at the same time you will not notice a cost difference that small. You are not giving a reason as to the motive behind your question. Explain the details behind your concern about cost. I would say to set your water heater at a certain temp then turn it up wait for your bill to arrive and see if you notice a big difference. Then try to pinpoint the cost to see if it was because of the heater or because someone cooked noodles a little to long that month. Your question and your responses are redundant and your not giving all the facts behind your question.

I have my answer thank you, but I was asking about temperature and cost, not fuel/temperature/cost. Me asking about temperature obviously assumed a given fuel was used. I was asking for a more or less cost within the scenario. My question couldve pertained to any fuel used whether it costs more or less to maintain a higher temp as opposed to a lower temp. One fuel was already chosen which was why there was no need to mention. Read between the lines is all. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back