Re-plumbing drain after deeper sink bowl install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko200

Reaction score
I think I know what I have to do here, but want to be sure. I am having neew granite counters installed along with a double bowl sink which is 2" deeper than my current sink, so I will be about 3.5" deeper and my tailpieces are only about 2" right now. this is all in an island. As you can see there is a vent loop under the cabinet and the drain line is very low. I was thinking I can just cut the pipe down above the trap (under where the dishwasher drains into the line). And replace evertyhing new above the trap so I am a few inches lower. Is this ok, or am I missing something? See pictures.

Thanks for the help!
Mark

Under sink 1.jpg

Is your dishwasher going to an airgap. All you have to do is cut below the santee and then make your connections.

Not sure what you mean by the dishwasher going to an airgap? By santee, do you mean cutting below where the dishwasher drains into the line?

Thanks!

Some codes require that the dishwasher drain through an air gap fitting. Code in my area only requires that it have a high loop up against the bottom of the countertop. You should be able to cut out a section of pipe to lower it, but the drain openings in the new sink probably won't line up exactly with the drain openings in the old sink, so you will probably end up having to repipe the whole thing anyway.

It makes for a neater job just to re pipe it. Couplings everywhere and un level FOP's just make it look like a dogs breakfast.

Latest posts

Back