Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Plumbing Building Code > Indirect waste receptor

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
britkath

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Indirect waste receptor

Per IPC, can a floor mounted Janitor's sink function as both a janitor's sink, and an indirect waste receptor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 611 Times on 493 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Chapter 8, Indirect and Special Wastes, does not clearly state whether or not a floor sink can be used as a waste receptor, Chapter 2, Definitions, does not define a waste receptor. The janitor's sinks that I have installed do have a removable strainer or basket, which is one of the stipulations for a waste receptor in Chapter 8.

So, while I am not the code authority in your or any other area, I would say yes, and be prepared to argue with the inspector on that point. I don't see where the sink being used for a janitor's sink has any bearing on whether or not it can serve as a waste receptor.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-433-1912

Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Caduceus

Liked 227 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 123

It also depends on what is being discharged into the janitor's sink (mop sink?)
In my area, the janitor's sink can only receive the indirect discharge of clear liquids such as condensate or clear water overflow and emergency discharges.
Any fixture that could discharge solids or debris that may clog sink's strainer are not allowed to empty into it.

Quick Reply