Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Electric water heater for space heating

Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Christoph

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Electric water heater for space heating

I have recently come across a couple of radiant heat systems that are being heated using a 50 gallon electric water heater. Is this legal? Is this ok to do according to code? The systems I have seen have been working fine for years, I was just wondering if this as ok to do or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 397 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 253

As long as the demand for heat is low enough that the heater can supply it, it should be fine. It may be a little costly to run. You would be better off if it was a gas heater.

John

Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Christoph

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! Actually electric is one of the cheaper ways to heat our homes in my area, as we run off of hydro power and don't have natural gas. I know that they work in the examples I have seen, but my biggest question was whether or not it was code. My local inspector wasn't sure if it was ok to use an appliance that is listed for potable water heating for a closed loop heating system. Thoughts?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
chukar

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

As long as it has a double wall heat exchanger inside of it, then yes I would be legal, if its a regular electric with no separate heat exchanger then probably not. Attached is the Laars with a picture of what I mean

http://www.laars.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=C3JL-acRwm8%3D&...

There is always the possibility that someone could come put chemicals into the system, also the reason they prefer a proper back flow device on the feed for it.

Last edited by chukar; 10-05-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Caduceus

Liked 197 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I'm not promoting this specific manufacturer, just using the images on the site as an example that there are electric indirect water heaters for hydronic systems on the market, since you don't have natural gas as an option.
http://www.heat-flo.com/prod_indirectWaterHeater.html

Quick Reply