Installing a new compression angle stop on to copper pipe.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQualityPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacing an old angle stop. First shut the water off to the building. Drain the system down the best you can by opening up lower fixtures. If this isn't possible, then keep a small bucket to catch the water. Pull the lav riser, aka supply line off the angle stop, then use 2 pairs of channel locks to untighten the compression nut. The nut and pharrel will not come off. Get your bucket ready to catch that water that might flow out. Now use a nut and pharrel puller to remove the nut and pharrel. Once you have it off, verify that the copper pipe is clean and not damaged. It's a good idea to use some sand cloth to clean it up. I always recommend to wipe a light amount of pipe thread sealant like megalock on the threads that the compression nut will thread on to. This isn't necessarily for sealing the threads because the brass pharrel should do that job, but this will help you get a nice tight crank and prevent the nut from ceasing up in the future. Once you have replaced the stop reinstall the lav riser, turn the water back on and test it for leaks. If none, life is good and you did the job right. If you see a drip, try to crank the nut a little more. If no luck then you may have to repeat this process to get a water tight seal. This has been a plumbing how to tip provided by A Quality Plumber Inc of Washington. Http://www.plumbingwa.com

Nut and ferrule remover? Never heard of it, do you have a link for one? I've been doing it the long way apparently :p

You should be able to buy one at your local supply house. I know Ferguson and Pacific have them. If you don't know what it looks like, you may have to ask the desk clerk. Excuse the misspelled words. I'm using my phones auto word feature to type.

Awesome thanks guys. Do they work relatively well? I'll have to invest in one for sure

Steve, I have never used one. They look like they should work. I have always used a hacksaw and just cut a slot in the compression ferrule then put a screwdriver into the slot and twisted it causing the ferrule to split.

That's much better. I'll have to find me on of those. Haven't saw one in a wholesaler up here yet but I'll start asking

I could not imagine having to pull nut and ferrell off without this tool Steve. Life must have really sucked when you had to do this. I'm glad my article helped you improve productivity.

That's usually what I did Havasu and thanks aquality. Definitely saves me the pain, I do get paid by the hour but it comes in handy when you don't have enough pipe to cut behind.

What brand do any of guys recommend for the puller? Only one I found was brass craft which has some bad reviews online

Latest posts

Back