Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Plumbing Products > cartridge filter repair parts

Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
killermrob83

Default cartridge filter repair parts

I have a standard 20" cartridge filter canister installed just upstream of the softener. The head on this particular canister has an on/off valve handle located on the top of it. Every time I replace the filters, water leaks from around the red button and maybe also from around the valve stem, both leaks being from underneath the valve handle. I contacted Kinetico because they installed the system in '94. They looked into a rebuild kit for the head, which they did find, but also that it is no longer available. Unfortunately, they didn't have a part number to give me (they didn't ask for it when in contact with their supplier). I was told that this particular canister assembly was not Kinetico, but maybe Pentek. The only marking on the entire assembly is 'Made in USA'. I asked the service person that was assisting me if she had ever seen the rebuild kit and if she could describe the contents. She told me that it mainly consisted of O-rings, but also had a small plate and some screws, and sold for around $8. Anyone have any idea on how I might obtain (old stock) one of these kits? Should I just go ahead and disassemble the head and try to match up the O-rings. I was told by one Kinetico svc center that they could just come in and replace the unit for
$279....... they wouldn't just sell me the unit to install myself. What a deal!
Thanks for your time and consideration. Rob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Unless this thing is in front of a Kinetico Softener, why don't you just pull the cartridge out and forget it. They really don't take out anything harmful and are pretty much useless after a softener.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
killermrob83

This filter is just upstream of the softener. We live in the country and have a well for our water source. This filter keeps a ton of sediment from winding up in the resin bed. Just upstream of that I have also installed (last year) a Water Source sediment filter, which removes a bunch of debris before it gets to the cartridge filter. I did this to get more life out of the cartridge filter. The WS sediment filter has a stainless steel screen inside of a bowl, so no filter element to replace. The bowl has a valve on the bottom so you can blow it down (backflow the element to the drain). Once a month or so I unscrew the bowl (I installed shutoff valves and a bypass when I plumbed it), remove the element and use a soft bristle brush to clean off any rust or debris that doesn't come off while backwashing. The cartridge filter must be doing some good as this Kinetico softener was originally installed in '94 and functions just as it should.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

I got my up and down streams crossed from your explanation. So the filter is in front of the Kinetico. The reason it's there is that those non electric filters can't handle the slightest amount of debris.

I always asked "who would want a filter that needs a filter in front of itself".

Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
killermrob83

Are you referring to the Kinetico softener as a 'non electric filter'?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Yes I am. They are the only non electric softener I'm aware of.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
killermrob83

I was just confused by the use of words. I've never heard of the resin bed being referred to as a filter.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Resin is very much like sand and does act as a filter. Even though it's main function is Ion Exchange to soften water, it will also trap other things that can be backwashed to drain.

Being in the Well Business all my life, I have seen some pretty nasty water and I don't know of anyone who has ever gotten sick from drinking well water. Some of these Companies selling Water Filtration really have the American Public thinking their water is killing them. But they will spend hundreds or thousands a year on bottled water that is mostly tap water with added flavor (minerals).

Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
camaroderrick73

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ran into kinetico a few times over the years. Any new old stock your referring to might be few and far between. I use blue fountain water in Davis, ca. Go to bluefountainwater.com and call , talk to Wes, if they have it he would know...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
killermrob83

I appreciate the info and will try giving a call. The filter isn't Kinetico, just something installed by them.

Quick Reply