Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > hot water copper supply pipe is noisy

Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
eagleslincoln

Default hot water copper supply pipe is noisy

Hot water supply and return pipes running from basement to second floor through the wall is very noisy. I am aware of the reason for the expansion of the copper pipe. As the pipe travels through the top and bottom plate studs in the wall, it is very noisy. What is the proper method of installing the copper pipe through the top and bottom plate studs. Should the holes be drilled much larger than the pipe itself? Is there some time of rubber piece to put around pipe through the stud. Please help, the noise is killing me!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 551 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Most of the big box hardware stores carry a plastic sleeve that slides over the copper pipe and can be screwed to the studs and make the movement of pipes silent. And yes, the holes should be larger than the pipe going through the plates.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
eagleslincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Most of the big box hardware stores carry a plastic sleeve that slides over the copper pipe and can be screwed to the studs and make the movement of pipes silent. And yes, the holes should be larger than the pipe going through the plates.
Thanks for the quick response and will check my local hardware to correct the problem!

Quick Reply