Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Leaking Drain in Upstairs Shower

Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
dbdezyne

Default Leaking Drain in Upstairs Shower

Recently found a leak in our ceiling and was able to trace it to the drain in the upstairs shower. The drain in the shower is a Caspers 101-P. My first suspicion is that the leak is coming from where the top of the drain flange meets the shower opening. There appears to be a very small gap there where I think water can get through. My question is this type of drain threaded or glued? If it is glued, then it appears that the whole shower has to come out, but if it is threaded, then maybe just the Caspers drain can be pulled and replaced. Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 540 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Either way, you will have to access the bottom of the shower base to remove the old drain. That is, if I understand you correctly that this is a fiberglass shower stall or shower base. These type drains are all secured to the shower by a large nut on the bottom of the shower base. Whether or not the drain glues to the pipe or uses a rubber compression gasket is a small matter compared to getting to the bottom of the shower.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-433-1912

Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
dbdezyne

Yes, this is a complete fiberglass stall. So, your take is that I've got to cut a hole in the ceiling to replace or repair the drain? I've seen a couple of videos where the drain is screwed in and the rubber gasket is replaced from the top, then the new drain installed. That was why I was asking if this would be a threaded drain.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 540 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 722

The standard drain with a rubber gasket also has a large nut on the bottom that unthreads.

However, I have seen one of our most experienced members, johnhh2o, post recently about a replacement drain that can be installed directly from the top. I have no experience with it, and cutting the old drain off, while doable, would still be a problem.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-433-1912

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
johnjh2o

Liked 445 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 292

This is the strainer phishfood is referring to. But like he said it is doable but removing the old strainer takes some experience.
http://www.wingtite.com/print-instructions/

John

Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
dbdezyne

Yeah, that's what I saw advertized. There is a back wall of the shower that I can get to. I was wondering if I could cut a small inspection hole at the bottom to see if that drain is threaded or not. If it is, then I may be able to get something in from that direction to loosen the nut and remove the drain without coming in from the bottom. Otherwise, this could be a complete shower removal.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
johnjh2o

Is the gap your seeing between the shower and the strainer or between the gasket and the strainer? If it's between the shower and the strainer the only fix is to replace the strainer. Coming in from the back wall will do nothing for you.

John

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
dbdezyne

I'll post a pic tomorrow that shows the gap.

thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
dbdezyne

Finally got some time to look at this drain leak. Here are a couple of pictures of the drain. Basically, still not sure if this a threaded type that can be removed from the top. There looks to be some notches use for a grip, but again seeking some advice. Really trying to avoid a complete shower removal as this is on a second floor with no access to bottom. Possibly leaking around lip of strainer where it joins the enclosure, but even if so, not sure how to even make a good seal around that without actually removing it.

photo.jpg   photo1.jpg  

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
johnjh2o

Check the ring with the notches it should be tight. There is a gasket under the ring that seals the pipe to the strainer. Those notches are to tighten the ring onto the gasket.
John

Quick Reply