Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > DIY small Lawn sprinkler system

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
kimbhoot

Default DIY small Lawn sprinkler system

Hello,

So I have this 27'x37' yard where I'm trying to add a sprinkler system. I've read several article and saw a post where this guy did a DIY sprinkler system for his yard. he used Flex PVC pipes for his system. after seeing that I got motivated to convert my existing system (garden hose and walmart stake type sprinklers) to a slightly better one where I don't need to stand and watch.

I bought some Orbit timer and just need to run some pipes in two spots and some heads. so here's what I'm thinking, run some standard PVC (since they're much cheaper than flex pvc) to two spots that I've determined and bury the pipes probably 6" in the ground with shovel or whatever tool I can use.

the parts that I haven't figured out yet is, how am I going to connect the water line to the pvc from my outside water tap. how do I prevent backflow and how do I drain the water out before winter.

please feel free to comment on my existing plan and help with this diy plan.
your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
doctordirtpro

You typically want to run the pvc pipe into a manifold that is operated by your timer. I believe standard is 1 inch pvc.

If you wish to feed the pvc directly from a hose or outside water tap, I guess you could use a female faucet adapter with a PVC fitting with female thread on one end (connecting to your tap) and then goop the pvc pipe to the other, unthreaded end, as show here.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 582 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Here in CA we typically use 3/4" valves and 3/4" pipe for our sprinklers. Some use 1" but it is more rare and kinda overkill. A lot use 1/2" but if you have more then a couple heads or plan on it in the future you wont get the volume needed to run them right. I have six stations and they tap off of my mian line just before in enters my house.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
CornerWrench

I cringe at the thought of an automatic irrigation system being run off a faucet. Rather see you tie in at the water line leading to the house and put in a ball valve and drain. Then use these for electric valves and back flow. http://www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_2700s.html

If you are running 1-5gpm then 1/2" will be okay. 5-9gpm use 3/4" 10-15 use 1"

Quick Reply