Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Toilets and Sinks > Faulty toilet fill valve - or faulty installation

Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
tplo

Default Faulty toilet fill valve - or faulty installation

I installed a Fluidmaster universal toilet fill valve today -- or tried to -- but I may have done it wrong. The valve appears to be leaking water into the tank, keeping the tank filled to the overflow level. (It's not triggering flow from the main water fill tube, so I don't think it's the flapper, which is relatively new). There are also air bubbles in the tank, which is something new.

A few things didn't turn out like the instructions indicated - the coupling nut didn't come off the water supply line (despite some tugging), so I left it in there but put in a new cone washer. And the instructions called for removing the valve top and running the water a few times, then reinstalling the valve top, but I couldn't get that to work. (I think this might have caused the problem). I have tried to adjust the float as well, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. (And a new problem is that I tried to turn off the water below the toilet - it worked during the original installation, but now the water keeps running, or this valve is messing it up).

Any suggestions? Should I buy a new kit and try again or can I fix this one? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 463 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 328

It's very rare that you get a faulty Fluidmaster. You may have messed it up when you tried to remove the cap. It also sounds like you have a bad valve on the supply line. This can also be the reason the fill valve isn't turning off. When you turned it off it may have loosened some scale in the valve that is now in the fill valve causing it not to turn off completely. Try following the instructions and remove the cap. There is a disk under the cap. Check for debris between the disk and it's seat. Be sure to turn off the main water supply before taking the fill valve apart. This would also be a good time to replace the valve on the toilet supply.

John

Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
tplo

Many thanks, John. One quick follow-up: does removing the cap mean just taking off the black plastic cover that snaps on top of the fill valve? I had managed to unsnap that and take it off. But I didn't see the water flowing up from the valve as the instructions suggested would happen during the test process (turning on and off the supply water), so I assumed I was supposed to take off more than just that top cap. Does more of the top assembly above the float come off as well? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
johnjh2o

Liked 463 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Once you remove the cap you have to lift up on the plastic arm the stainless steel wire attaches to.Then rotate the plastic arm 1/4" turn while holding the fill valve below the arm. This will allow you the remove the assemble exposing the disk and it's seat. Check for debris in this area. Let me say again be sure the water is off. I found this link that may be of some help.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/downloada...sample_id/176/

John

Last edited by johnjh2o; 02-26-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply