Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Sump Pump, Utility Sink, Washer, help!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Solid

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sump Pump, Utility Sink, Washer, help!

Hello Forum, thank you in advance for your help.

I am looking to replace the soap stone utility sink that is in my basement, discharge the sump pump outside the house (installing a new basin w/cover.), and I am debating whether or not I should drain the washing machine into the new utility sink to simplify things.

So, here's what I'm dealing with:

A close up of the work under the utility sink:

Yet another angle:

Now, as I said above, I will be eliminating the sump pump part of this drain all together, so that will leave the sink and the washing machine. One thing that I don't understand has to do with the sump basin. There is a pipe entering the basin that you can see here:

I notice that when the washing machine drains, I see some (not all) of the sudsy washing machine water draining through that pipe. It isn't enough to trigger the sump pump, and it actually seems like it drains back out the same pipe! As you can see, the previous owner (I think) broke up the floor in that area. I don't understand the purpose of that pipe? I was thinking that maybe before the sump pit was installed, maybe it was a floor drain? The floor of the basement slopes to that corner, and to me, it would make sense because it seems to connect to the sewer drain. This is just a guess. Unless I'm told otherwise, I would plan on digging that section of the floor up (when replacing the sump basin) and eliminating it. I also found this in the basement, which I assume was replaced with PVC under the sink:

So, my questions are:

Does my plan sound OK?

What is that pipe?

Last, but not least, I don't see any venting here. Am I going to have to run some venting up through the ceiling and eventually connect to the vent in the attic?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
LiQuId

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

that pipe is likely from a weeping tile around the outside perimiter of your house.

when you say "sump pump drain" is this a discharge line ?? edit: never mind, i looked closer, it is a discharge line and It is not trapped, this should have a trap on it...

you could drain the washing machiene into the sink but a better practice would be to use a standpipe such as you have to drain it, but eliminate the fernco connection and make sure its properly vented.

I would Not remove a sump, its there for good reason likely.

as far as the venting goes, you can use a "cheater vent" actually called an Air admitance valve. make sure it is suitablle for a 2" installation and DONT buy the $10 one, spend the extra and get a good one or it will be problems down the road.

Last edited by LiQuId; 01-24-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Solid

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuId View Post
that pipe is likely from a weeping tile around the outside perimiter of your house.
I was thinking that, but why would the washing machine discharge be coming through that pipe, and why would there only be one pipe entering the basin? EDIT: I just noticed that you said it could be coming from the OUTSIDE of the house. I never thought of this.

Quote:
I would Not remove a sump, its there for good reason likely.
Please note that I AM NOT removing the sump pump entirely! I am planning on improving the basin (deeper with a sealed lid), and discharging it outside the house instead of through the sewer.

Quote:
as far as the venting goes, you can use a "cheater vent" actually called an Air admitance valve. make sure it is suitablle for a 2" installation and DONT buy the $10 one, spend the extra and get a good one or it will be problems down the road.
This is great - I was thinking about using this. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Solid; 01-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Solid

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I found this image on another site - would something like this work?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
LiQuId

Yes, this is a properly circuit vented branch, and you would likely have no problems at all with that set up. you would obviously need a p trap on the lav discharge.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Solid

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK great, so that takes care of that, but what do you think about that pipe discharging into the sump basin? And, I still don't understand why there is waste water from the washing machine coming out of it. If this was a perimeter drain, I don't think you would see washing machine water coming out of it. What do you think?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
johnjh2o

Liked 439 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 282

There is a chance the washer and sink was draining into a perimeter drain. Where does your sewer line for upstairs exit the house? If it exits above the basement floor then the washer and sink couldn't be draining into the sewer line.

John

Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Solid

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi John,

Check out the first image - Just to the right(EDIT: Sorry, LEFT!) of the washing machine is the main stack (old, black cast pipe) which runs under the basement floor, out to the street. So, I assume that the pipe entering the concrete below the sink connects (under the concrete) to the main line heading outside. I haven't broken up the floor to investigate anything yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Solid; 01-25-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
LiQuId

perhaps I am looking at this wrong...

it is possiblle that the washing machiene and lav were an after thought and that since the sump was already there it was simplly easier for the plumber at the time to only break open a small section of slab and to pipe into the sump. does running the sink yeild water out of that pipe ?? or, can you hear water form the sink flowing past that pipe ?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 515 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
perhaps I am looking at this wrong...

it is possiblle that the washing machiene and lav were an after thought and that since the sump was already there it was simplly easier for the plumber at the time to only break open a small section of slab and to pipe into the sump. does running the sink yeild water out of that pipe ?? or, can you hear water form the sink flowing past that pipe ?
But then the sump would discharge back into itself, since it drains into the same pipe that the sink and washer drain into.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-433-1912

Quick Reply