Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Gas water heater - to drain or not to drain - Advice needed

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
djmikmik

Default Gas water heater - to drain or not to drain - Advice needed

Hi,

I have a gas water heater that was part of a new house that was built in 2003. It has never been drained before,

An employee from Lowes told me that since it is relatively old and was never drained before I should probably NOT try to drain it as it can create damage to the heater.

Any insight on his advice? appreciate your feedback!

Mickey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 436 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 277

The heater is at the age when most fail. (seven to ten years) I don't think I would drain it.

john

Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
burchis

I am curious to know why draining the tank would cause damage.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
johnjh2o

Do to the age of the tank and not ever being drained the sediment in the tank may be preventing the tank from leaking.
Most people are under the impression that you turn the water off then drain the tank. What should be done is connect a hose to the drain on the tank and without turning the water off open the drain and let it run until the water from the hose becomes clear. This uses the water pressure to flush the sediment from the tank. After that has been done then you drain the tank.

John

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
AJay
Moron

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
Do to the age of the tank and not ever being drained the sediment in the tank may be preventing the tank from leaking.
Most people are under the impression that you turn the water off then drain the tank. What should be done is connect a hose to the drain on the tank and without turning the water off open the drain and let it run until the water from the hose becomes clear. This uses the water pressure to flush the sediment from the tank. After that has been done then you drain the tank.

John
We just had a new water heater installed a couple of months ago. There was so much sediment that they had to drain it from the top to remove it.

How often should a water heater be flushed? every six months? once a year?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
johnjh2o

Depending on water condition once or twice a year. You should be able to tell how bad it is by the amount of sediment that comes out when flushing. Try it every six months, if it's not to bad then go to once a year.

John

Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
KULTULZ
Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe also consider a sediment filter?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
sawsaw

the best thing to do is only buy water heaters with a self-cleaning, vortex system, which eliminates the need to drain to remove sediment.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
johnjh2o

From what I have seen all a self-cleaning heater is they have a dip tube that makes a turn at the bottom of the tank. The theory is to spin the water as it enters the tank. My question is where does the sediment go? I would think flushing it from the tank would be more effective. Just my opinion.

John

Old 10-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
djmikmik

John,

Thanks for replying to my original question.
So in this case should I connect a hose without turning the water off and perform the cleaning? or should I leave my gas heater intact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post

John

Quick Reply