Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Toilets and Sinks > toilet tank siphoning to supply

Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
dogsbestfriend

Default toilet tank siphoning to supply

hi all,

my problem is blue stains showing up in the sink. i rebuilt both toilet tanks, the valves are correct heigth, supply water fills to the line on the inside of the tank every time, and shuts off. i let the lid off the tank, and it looks like once in awhile the water in the tank will rise above the mark in the tank. i dont think the valve has let the water in , so where did it come from? the blue water in the bowl seams to fade to almost clear ( sometimes ). from what i have read on here i am guessing the problem is a bad toilet, or a clog of some kind. the toilet flushes ok , but it doesnt flush the same way every time. i was thinking about installing a check valve in the supply line, just to rule out the siphoning thery. is there any reason that i souldnt install them?? i live in a 2003 doublewide, 2 full baths,. also resently when i let the dish water drain, i hear a gurrgling, i think it is the vent under the sink. how can i test these vents to ensure they are working properly? can anyone help me ??

thanks

also the first time i became aware of this problem is water started dripping from my tub ( which i dont use ) and thats when i first seen it. the water does not drip from the faucet. it seems as though there is a pressure change in the supply to it because it only drips once in a while, but for no reason, it hasnt been used?

Last edited by dogsbestfriend; 06-19-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Second2None

You probably have well water. I suspect the well water is the source of the stains.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
dogsbestfriend

i do have well water, but what stains are you talking about??

Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Second2None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbestfriend View Post
i do have well water, but what stains are you talking about??
The stains in the sink you posted about. read the first sentence of your 1st post.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
dogsbestfriend

the stains are from the blue tabs that you put in the toilet tank. when i dont use the tablets i dont get the blue stains in my sink and shower. did you see the edit to this?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 104 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Post a picture if you can. You say you rebuilt the tanks.
What type of new ballcock did you install.
What type of new flapper did you install.
Toilet tank repairs are probably the most common type of call backs even for experienced plumber.
Why is the water blue in the tank. Are you using dye test tablets or do you have some kind of blue cleaning product in the tank.
Cleaning chemicals in the tank are not recommended.
You don't need a check valve on you toilet supplies.
You may have a faulty pressure reducing valve on your water supply to the home.
If the pressure reducing valve is leaking by the increased pressure sometimes relieves itself by forcing open the ballcock and or dripping from the tub valve.
You can buy a test gauge and check it on a hose bib.

. . . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . . .

Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Second2None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbestfriend View Post
the stains are from the blue tabs that you put in the toilet tank. when i dont use the tablets i dont get the blue stains in my sink and shower. did you see the edit to this?
Sure didn't see it. You should have anti siphon ballcocks installed that would prevent any cross connection. Its common for well water to turn fixtures bluish green.

Replace the ballcocks with fluidmaster 400a's if they are compatible with your toilet. They are anti-siphon and would eliminate any possible backflow.....but I do not think that is your problem. What type ballcocks are installed now?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 104 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm a little slow . must have been typing when he post that

. . . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . . .

Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
dogsbestfriend

i installed fluidmaster rebuild kits in both toilets. i also correctly checked my pressure tank and pressure switch. the pressure is holding. not leaking off. where is a pressure reduceing valve usually located? i thought those valves were only on city water.
my fixtures are not turning blue and green. the inside of the sink bowl turns blue ( where water lays after you turn the water off ) the floor in my shower turns blue.
yes i put the blue cleaning tablets in my toilet tanks. if i dont use the blue tablets, there is no blue stains in the bowl or the shower floor. when i use the tablets in the toilet tank, the stains appear again, so i know the blue stains are comming from the toilet tablets.
what did you want me the upload a photo of ?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
dogsbestfriend

the pressure switch is a 30 on - 50 off , which i thought it should be 20 on- 40 off. my bladder pressure is set for the 30-50

Quick Reply