Anyone know what this is?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibeck

Reaction score
100-what.jpg

This is located on the feed line to our open-loop geo-thermal unit. It looks like it is supposed to have a float in it, possibly to show flow rate or something?

Anyway, it look like it's not working, and it's also leaking. Need to know:

1 - Do I need to replace it, or can I just eliminate it?
2 - If I need to replace, any idea where I can get a replacement?

Thanks1

_mike

Looks like a flow meter, there should be a float that rides up and down past an optical sensor. This is a necessary part of your system. Check the yellow pages for local geo-thermal companies, this isn't really something you just pick up at the local big box.

Last edited:
I agree with the flow meter part. There however is no electrical lead coming from the unit, so I don't think it had a sensor in it. I have had 2 plumbers out, and no one knew what it was :) One company is sending someone else out to evaluate, I just thought I would check with te folks here.

Anyone know a good plumber in the Baltimore, MD area :)

_mike

Huh ok, geotherm isn't my thing but the lack of electrical confused me so I did some poking around.

Turns out what you have there is a Rotameter. Apparently the float doesn't...well...float. It is held in the cylinder by the pressure. A working float spins, a broken one will be stationary (so maybe take a look at yours?)

I bow to the all-knowing Wikipedia once again.

Rotameter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, you may want to skip the standard household plumber and go right for a geotherm installer, they tend to be rather specialized.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back