Quick question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scot

Reaction score
I have a shared well not on my property but it runs 5 houses total. I don't know any of the specs to the well. Or pump running it.

But my question is. How do I tell if there just isn't enough volume for all 5 houses or if I need a separate pressure tank in my own house. We leave in a new house almost 2 years old. And when we moved in we instantly notciced the shower on the top floor had like no pressure... Fixed that with a new shower head and chalked it up to the agitator in the shower head being bad... But also we noticed the faucet in the main level kitchen is really slow...
But everything else sees to be working ok.

So wondering if it seems like something a pressure tank would fix it? Or would it just be put faucets and shower heads that boost pressure?

Pressure tanks, faucets, and shower heads do not "boost pressure". Faucets, shower heads, and piping with less restriction will have better flow, but not increase the pressure.

Only the pump can boost pressure. And after adding low restriction faucets and shower heads, the next option is to turn up the pressure setting at the pump. With a shared well this may not be possible.

You might be able to use a booster pump at your house, but that won't work if the well pump cannot supply it with enough volume.

The last option is to install a cistern storage tank. The shared well can fill the 500-1000 gallon storage tank at really low pressure even it if takes long periods of time. Then you install a booster pump and controls to draw from the cistern and supply YOUR house with as much pressure and volume as you want.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Ok thanks the faucets I will try first as it worked in the upstairs shower. It went from a trickle to an actual shower. Was told sometimes with new construction houses you get faucets with broken agitators I think they said sense contractors go cheap on most stuff to make more money... I thought if you get a secondary pressure tank in your house it will help for long enough to take a shower or be able to do dishwasher and shower at same time... Not for sustained pressure increase but for short term.... Cistarn looks and sounds expensive:(

So oh pressure tank won't do any good is what your saying if the faucet replacement doesn't work?

So oh pressure tank won't do any good is what your saying if the faucet replacement doesn't work?

Nope. Pressure tanks take water, they don't make water. It will actually lower your pressure because the pressure has to drop to get any water out of a tank. If the pressure stays steady, there is no water going into a tank or out of it. Without a pump, you cannot increase pressure in a pressure tank.

Can probably do a cistern/booster pump/control setup for $1,000-$2,000 depending on how large and stuff. But then you have the option of being in control of your own pressure destiny, so to speak. I just helped a guy figure one of these setups to give 120 PSI to his showers, because that is what he wanted. Not going to be using my shower as a car wash, so way overkill, but he lives in a country where you can still do about anything you want within reason. A strong constant 60 PSI in a shower and you won't even have to use soap, it will just blast the dirt off of you.:D

No. Everything works...never run out of water... Low water pressure is just kind i annoying.

You might be able to use a booster pump at your house, but that won't work if the well pump cannot supply it with enough volume.

How can I tell if the well can supply it with enough water? Because it isn't like we have ever ran out of water. And we have done things like laundry dishwasher and shower all at the same time. So feel like the volume is there...

You can use the same booster pump/PK1A controls as shown on the cistern to just boost pressure from the incoming line. However, when you go to sucking on the incoming line it will pull the main system pressure down and all your neighbors will have lower pressure. If it doesn't suck the incoming pressure below say 30 PSI, you might be alright. But your booster pump could suck the incoming pressure down to 0-10 PSI, and your neighbors will not be happy.

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical sized.jpg

Buy you’re self a water gauge and test it you must be between 40-80psi, next flush a toilet and the psi should not drop more then 5-10 psi.from my house it sounds like you need to clean out the aerators.

Latest posts

Back