What is this? Can anyone provide help/a quote?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkaufmann

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a condo and had an inspection done on it. The inspector found two plumbing issues; one of which is a shower diverter and the other is a leaking waste pipe. I have never seen the fitting for the waste pipe in my life. I am hoping someone on this forum knows what this is. If you do, can you provide an estimate of DIY cost/professional cost and where I would find the fitting? If you could provide the same for the shower diverter I would be very grateful as well, but I believe I have that DIY cost narrowed down to about $300.

leak.JPG

diverter.JPG

Wouldn't see the drain issue being to terribly difficult. Replace with combination Wye and add 45 degree fitting on both sides of the Wye to allow for better drainage.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-...MI4aez6v-_2QIVkFt-Ch12hwGhEAQYAyABEgJ0CvD_BwE. This is 3inch but more like this. I like having the 45 degree fittings on both sides of the wyes. Makes for better drainage. Don't have any potential backwash going into other part of the Wye.

Awesome! So it isn't some special fitting that I need to hunt down and replace. I would presume the only thing I will have to do is slightly modify the length of the existing pipes to fit this, correct? Just a random question though.... was I researching the complete wrong topic or is that really a weird fitting? I couldn't find anything that looks exactly like it.

I've seen fittings that are of odd nature. When I ask supply houses about them. They usually tell me that they are illegal fittings for whatever reason. I wouldn't see any reason why you'd need to put that exact fitting back unless you had other drain lines tying into those outlets. Very strange fitting.

I've seen fittings that are of odd nature. When I ask supply houses about them. They usually tell me that they are illegal fittings for whatever reason. I wouldn't see any reason why you'd need to put that exact fitting back unless you had other drain lines tying into those outlets. Very strange fitting.

Sounds good. Thank you for your prompt response. Do you know anything about shower diverters? Is my $300 estimate for DIY accurate? I got $800 in concessions for both of these issues and I think I will actually be money ahead after both repairs.

What are the 2 horizontal lines coming from? water closets?
the upper middle line could be a common vent for 2 back to back water closets. If that's the case you can not use a combination wye, and should use a DOUBLE FIXTURE tee.

Water closets are stools, in case you didn't know. Telling that to the original poster.

What are the 2 horizontal lines coming from? water closets?
the upper middle line could be a common vent for 2 back to back water closets. If that's the case you can not use a combination wye, and should use a DOUBLE FIXTURE tee.
Were pretty well talking about the same fitting. Open up the link I posted.

Btw Mr David we are talking about the same fitting. I just call it something else. Will keep in mind that its a double fixture/double combo wye

Justin, double combo and a double fixture tee are not the same

Latest posts

Back