PVC Joint Insertion Depth

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony203040

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

This is my first post here. Thank you in advance to everyone for your input.

I am currently doing a bathroom model. I had to move my toilet and shower drain, which meant some significant PVC work to refit the new waste lines. I have an existing 3" wye fitting that I fitted some 3" PVC to. The connection did not fully seat.

To make my question simple...is there an issue that I was only able to get the 3" PVC inserted to a depth of 1-1/8"? The maximum depth of the joint is 1-1/2". Which means I have a 3/8" gap.

NOTE: this is a horizontal run in my basement ceiling between joists. In order to correct the issue, I will need to do extensive PVC rework up and downstairs, as one of the joints on the wye fitting is an elbow directly butted up to the ceiling. That waste line then goes between the walls, all the way up to the second story. I'm attaching a picture (which is 90 degrees rotated for some reason on this site) showing why I cannot replace the wye fitting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Antonio

20180224_155743.jpg

is there a way you could water or air test it...I know that's not
the first time a pipe wasn't bottomed out but for peice of mind
air test it

well you have to seperate new work cap all open ends test with
5psi of air for 10 mins if that's possible or leave the sheet rock
open set the toilet use it for a while see what happens

Last edited:
Yes...I used purple primer and then cement, purchased at the local big box store.

I contemplated hooking everything back up and start flushing toilets to see if there are any leaks. Are there any procedures on a proper air/water test, besides my above mentioned plan? Haha.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Pipe should always be champered to get maximum depth a flat face pipe pushes all the glue to back of socket

Latest posts

Back