Garbage disposal help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Insinkerator Premier 3/4 HP disposal that is leaking at the sink. This was installed by me around 3 years ago. The leak must have been going on for a while but my wife did not notice it until yesterday. Anyhow, I have tried a number of times to try to remove the clamp but it is rusted to the disposal clamp. I tried spraying it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple of hours and them came back and tried to loosen the clamp with a small sledge hammer and it still would not budge. The only thing which I know to do now is to just cut the clamp off. I would like to still use the disposal as it is still working fine but I have no idea once I get it down from under the sink if I can separate the clamp.

I would like to know if there is a way to get the disposal out without cutting the clamp but if not is there a way of getting the remainder of the clamp off the unit.

If I have to replace it which brand and model would you recommend. My wife and I are only planning on staying in our house for another year as we are planning on moving.

Thanks

My understanding is the Insinkerator Evolution Premier 3/4 HP disposal is under a 5 year in-home warranty. Call Insinkerator, tell them your story and they will pay for a repair person to come to your home to fix or replace the disposal at no cost to you. Easy as that. Call them.

My understanding is the Insinkerator Evolution Premier 3/4 HP disposal is under a 5 year in-home warranty. Call Insinkerator, tell them your story and they will pay for a repair person to come to your home to fix or replace the disposal at no cost to you. Easy as that. Call them.

Not cool to have Insinkerator incur cost for install errors.

Debo22 is correct. Install failure, not product problem. Cut off flange with a reciprocating saw or hacksaw. Set disposal on a work surface and get the remaining flange piece off. Purchase a new flange and install using silicone sealant this time.

I have surveyed 3 brands so far; Teka (made in Germany), InsinkErator (US) and Kleengard(?).
Teka n Kleengard is about ~RM 1200 for 0.75hp. Kleengard is close to 2K. All has air switch though for Kleengard need to pay a little extra for that good garbage disposal. And new models have reverse grinding...
One of the major concern is the loud noise it created during operation. Check from international forum, InsinkErator seems to be the lowest db.

For now, most likely am going for Teka due to it's German made and cost-wise.
Would love to have InsinkErator Evo though. It's body is stainless steel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back