Iron filter not sucking out a lot from brine tank.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felts

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which category to put this in so i chose this one.
I have a FFGS-1054 iron filter from fleet farm. I stared to notice my water was getting discolored (yellowish brown color). When i went down to look at the filter i had noticed that the overflow line on the brine tank, which is filled with pot perm, had a lot of discharge to where it was actually clumps of pot perm in the drain. After a little youtube and tinkering i discovered that very little amount was being taken out of the brine tank. I checked this by taking off the hose that was connected to the brine tank and putting it into a jug of water. About half a cup was taken out. I don't think that is a good amount. I checked the gaskets and valve on the head for debris or worn out gasket but couldnt find anything obvious. Everything looked like it was in good if not new condition. So my theroy is that the Pot Perm isn't getting throught the filter and causing the iron bacteria to build up and go into my system. Any help would b greatly appreciated. Oh also i had just added a 5lb. jug of Pot Perm a few weeks ago.

There are two kinds of Potassium feeders that I'm aware of. Some people will trick up the cam shaft on an autotrol head so it takes a couple of ounces each backwash. The other feeder is just that... a feeder. The pot perm is poured into a small 5 gallon tank and the head of whatever brand you have pulls just what the feeder allows it to have. Both methods are dependent on a small nozzle and venturi in the head that pulls a vacuum which draws the pot perm into the head and down into the media.

Does your feeder have a float mechanism in it? If so, it may need adjusting or cleaning. Also be sure to wear rubber gloves. Or your hands will turn dark brown.. Lemon juice will help remove it.

Latest posts

Back