Shower fixtures - Final Fitment / Pressure Testing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickintexas

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in the middle of a bath tub to shower conversion project. The bath tub was removed on Monday, and the plumber came yesterday to do the rough-in for the new mixer valve and install a 2" pipe for the shower drain. Next, the shower people will come to build the shower base and the walls.

My dad helped me plan this project, and he told me that the plumber would have to come a second time once the base and the walls are completed to do the final fitment and function/pressure testing.

My first question is: was he just referring to attaching the shower arm, shower head, escutcheon & seal, handle, etc. (this is a Delta 142710-SS-1 fixture set) and ensuring that nothing leaks once it is all attached? If so, I would have to think that this is commonly done without the need for a plumber.

My second question is: if yes to the first question, how does one ensure that the aforementioned components are not leaking? This may sound like a strange question, but the shower arm attaches back into the wall and it may be difficult to be 100% sure that it is not leaking. Also, how would one tell if the drain is leaking?

Thanks!

screw a nipple into the shower arm fitting with a cap on it.
turn valve to check for leaks.

Hi Mr_David, thank you for the response. I'm not really sure what doing a pressure test on the nipple will tell me. I understand that it is easier to check for leaks when the pipe is capped to prevent flow. However, when the test is done, I will remove the nipple and install the shower arm. At this point, the shower arm could leak even if the nipple did not leak. I can run the water with the shower arm and shower head attached and peak through both the openings in the wall at the shower arm and mixer valve to check for leaks. But because the openings in the wall are not that large, I am afraid that it is possible to miss a leak.

Don't be paranoid.

I think about the same thing every time I screw a nipple into a wall and I can't see if it's leaking or not after I turn on the water.

After 30 yrs of doing this I can only recall one time of having a brass nipple on an angle stop leak inside the wall.

The test with nipple and cap is for the pipe and fittings you will not be able to see after you close up the wall.

When you make the holes for the shower arm, make them big enough to see the joint if you have to. You don't need much. maybe 1/8" to a 1/4"

Latest posts

Back