drain pipe and trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
Wondering if there is any restriction about how far the lav sink drain pipe can go into the p-trap. I saw some posts about minimum it would need to go (not an issue, it seems) but can I bottom the drain pipe right into the trap? Does that present any issues? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Matt30. To make sure I have it correct, do you mean the fixture's drain pipe can go into the trap a max of 4"?

Yes, the pipe leaving the sink and entering the trap. That's called your fixture outlet pipe. And it can be 4 FEET....you indicated inches.

' = feet. " = inches

:)

Hope that helps

For clarity sakes, the pic is an attempt to describe what I am asking. Specifically, the drain pipe from the sink (grey colour) and how far it can go into the trap. Can it go all the way to the bottom? I'm thinking that if there's water in the trap this steel drain pipe sitting in the water may present a problem in the future.

trap pic.png

Ohhh I'm sorry. I get you now.

There's no code for this, but yellow brass ptraps are fairly common and last a long time in trap water. If your brass tail piece is submerged in the water a little I can't see it being a big issue

Latest posts

Back