best caulk for bath tub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCinMSP

Reaction score
I have a soap dish on the tile wall around a bathtub and the caulk (or whatever) is perfect. It's smooth, white, and cleans easily. It feels a little bit rubbery, like silicone but it doesn't attract dust and dirt like silicone.

I need to seal/caulk around the edge of the bath tub. For the tub, I would like to find a great caulk/sealant similar to what is around the soap dish.
I have tried various caulks around the tub but they don't last very long and I'm not happy with the results.

Also, if you have any tips for applying it and getting a nice smooth surface, I would appreciate you advice.

Thanks

Definitely 100% silicone. Don't use siliconized latex.

If you need color matched caulk the silicone Latisil by Laticrete is great stuff, but you need to go to professional tile stores to buy it,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! They don't carry GE at Menards, which is close to me. Can I use any quality 100% silicone (whatever they sell at Menards), or are you specifically recommending GE? If GE is better than the others, I will get some of the GE 100% Silicone 7-year mold free guarantee.

Any tips on how to apply it and get a smooth bead. What I have tried is, putting the caulk on with a caulking gun and then using various tools to smooth the silicone but the silicone sticks to every tool I tried and then drags and makes a mess. I tried dipping tools in water and that didn't help.

I'll see if there are any videos on YouTube about working with 100% silicone caulk.

Last edited:
I've used the back of a plastic spoon, dipped in water, to smooth out caulk. It works really well.

My finger works best (wear a tight-fitting disposable glove if you like).

Dip your finger in water for latex caulk. Mineral spirits works better for silicone.

I am doing my shower over again and had same issue after I pulled out my GE clear silicone. it broke down too fast. After doing some research the name Lexel made by Sashco come up very often. I called the hardware store that carries it and they said great stuff. I was ready to use 3m marine 4200 on my shower for I cannot risk it leaking again and having to remove tray and all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I watched some YouTube videos and they all mentioned using a spray can of ammonia free glass cleaner. You put the bead of caulk down, then spray over the caulk with the glass cleaner and then the silicone won't stick to anything that has glass cleaner on it. Then I used my finger to smooth the silicone, wiping the excess off every 4 or 5 inches and it turned out perfect.

ton: sorry to hear about the you GE Silicone breaking down, the youtube videos mentioned GE 7-year warranty so I used that and I hope it lasts. Lexel looks good, maybe I will try that next time.

I perhaps should have not been to quick to pre judge GE. The seal broke on mine due to the tray dropping 1/2" due to poor install. I just noticed that when I pulled out the clear silicone it come out very easy therefore suggesting that one use a sealant that is tougher than clear were my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back