electric water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_humble

Reaction score
So i replaced the pressure valve on my 30 gal water heater yesterday. It shrieks when refilling. Its the same spec as the old one but it appears to be pissing water out... it is driving me crazy! The old one started banging so i replaced it and flushed tank. Please help me before I smash it to pieces and burn the house down

There will be no need to smash it to pieces and burn the house down, because it will do the dirty work for you if you don't address the real issue. Relief valves don't piss water on their own for no reason. The tank needs service.

I'm a plumber from the uk working on my house in ca. I am unfamiliar with these water heaters and I'm not willing to pay someone to do what i can do. That's why I came to a plumbing forum. I do however have limited tools. Just some informed advice would be greatly appreciated

I am assuming the valve was blowing air before it even pressurized or got hot? Did you flip the lever on the valve as you filled it? If so, you got crud into the valve and it may never seat correctly again. Did you open a faucet in the house when refilling the tank? If you did all this and air/water was escaping, it is a possibility that you got a bad TPR valve. I myself am not a plumber but I never flip the valve open when replacing a faulty TPR.

Here is a pretty good educational YouTube video for our viewers who are not familiar with these valves.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6gi2053wE[/ame]

Hmm. Maybe. The tank almost defiantly hasn't been serviced for a decade or more so it probably is full of crap. I'm going to investigate further, this could prove very helpful. Thank you

Lift lever and flush TPR valve several times (while under pressure) to remove anything on seat. Careful of your drain which should be to out side. If this don't work replace TPR valve again. If your HWH is close to warranty you may consider a new one especially if rust and particles have showed up in your water supply. In my part of the country a 40 gallon tank is cheaper than a 30 gallon tank but if you have enough hot water for your family then stay with 30 gallon.

Hmm. Maybe. The tank almost defiantly hasn't been serviced for a decade or more so it probably is full of crap. I'm going to investigate further, this could prove very helpful. Thank you

How old is HWH and what's the warranty on it?

Latest posts

Back