Can I use this to pull water from my well water line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickplumber

Reaction score
I have a well with an in-line filter and a water softener. We have water with lots of iron in it, which is why the filter exists.

First pic is of the filter and water softener connection.

I can bypass both the filter and water softener easily (valves already in-place), which then allows unfiltered / unsoftened water to flow into the system (used to change out the filter). The sprinkler line is before the filter / water softener, so I can get unfiltered / unsoftened water outside from the spigot on that line.

I am a beer brewer, and will be going to all grain soon. That means I need water without the water softener. I can plumb a new line from after the filter and before the water softener. Lot of work / cost. I can go outside, and get water from the sprinkler line (except during the winter when the system is drained), but that water would have to be carried around the house, and would be unfiltered, i.e. full of iron unless I bought an in-line filter. Even with that, getting 10 gallons or so would be tedious, and not doable in winter.

I also could tap into the water system before the filter and water softener. Since each usage will be 10 gallons or less (wash water can be soft and filtered), can I hook a drinking water hose, with in-line filter, to the spigot in picture #2? If I did that, what I would probably do is hook up the hose, run it across the floor to where I need the water, then the in-line filter, then a simple ball valve to turn the water on and off. When done I would go back and turn the spigot in the picture off.

Forgetting code, since this is a temporary use thing, where I'm pulling water through a hose and then shutting off and disconnecting (so I think there would be no code issues), is it ok to use that spigot for this purpose?

If not, my plan would be to get a plumber (I don't do plumbing soldering) to cut into the pipe on the inlet side of the water softener (first picture), go up to the ceiling, and then tap into a freshly run CPVC line that I would run to the location I needed it at. But the run is probably 80 feet, so pipe plus fittings plus plumber is probably going to put that at $200 - $300, whereas a drinking water hose and in-line filter would be $50 or so.

IMG_20170317_094710258.jpg

IMG_20170317_094729501.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem using that hose bibb right under the pressure gauge.

But you could also remove the little pressure relief valve to the left of that faucet. Then you could screw in a 3/4 nipple and 3/4 tee. Replace the pressure relief valve on the end of the tee, and use the top outlet of the tee to run your water line or hose where ever you want.

I see what you mean. However, there is no water shutoff before that. Would I turn off the pump power, drain the pressure at a faucet, and then remove that? Or is the entire tank going to empty out of that opening?

You should know that that inline filter is not removing rust/iron. There are filters that will remove iron and the softener will remove some iron, but that inline filter is not an iron filter by any stretch of the imagination. Remove the cartridge and use the water and you won't notice any difference.

Latest posts

Back