Can't figure out slow draining bathroom sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaveMahn

Reaction score
I've been dealing with a slow draining sink for some time now. I broke down and bought some FlowEasy Drain Opener. It said to let the sink fill with cold water and then slowly pour the cleaner down the drain and let it sit for 15 minutes. The problem is every time I poured a little cleaner in the drain all the water would run out. When I turned the water back on it would just build back up in the sink again and this process went on 4 or 5 times. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You need someone to come in with a machine. Make sure you tell them that you used drain cleaner. It could be dangerous for the snake operator if they are not expecting it.

try removing the pop up stopper, its probably gunked up with hair and such.
( google "removing pop up sink stopper" )

If that doesn't do pull apart the trap. Its not too bad a job.

Just be careful pulling the trap after using chemicals. Especially if still not draining.

try removing the pop up stopper, its probably gunked up with hair and such.
( google "removing pop up sink stopper" )

If that doesn't do pull apart the trap. Its not too bad a job.

It has an old grid drain. I'm going to pull apart the trap this weekend and see if there is anything in there.

Just be careful pulling the trap after using chemicals. Especially if still not draining.

It drains but very slowly. I'm going to take the trap apart this weekend and will exercise extreme caution just because I had used a chemical drain cleaner.

Make sure you wear chemical resistant protective gloves and that you are not in a position where anything will splash on your skin when you remove the P-trap. Those chemicals can burn you.

It is easy to fix and may take max of only 15 min.
The prob is when scum gets caught at stopper or pivot rod and clogs the drain.
To get to the clog, lift out the stopper, if it doesn't come out easily, it is held in by the pivot rod.In that case, loosen the nut, use pliers.
Now to get the clog out, bend a wire in a tight hook and fish out the scum and hair.
Run hot water down the drain. Check the pivot nut to make sure it is not leaking. If you seed rips, tighten the pivot rod nut with pliers.

Latest posts

Back