Repairing cast iron clawfoot tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capefox

Reaction score
I removed an old faucet set from our tub. The porcelain around the faucet holes has chipped away and and there is rusting of the cast iron. How do I get rid of the rust, re-porcelain or paint before installing the new faucet?

I removed an old faucet set from our tub. The porcelain around the faucet holes has chipped away and and there is rusting of the cast iron. How do I get rid of the rust, re-porcelain or paint before installing the new faucet?
How bad is this rust? If it's just on the hole in the tub and will be covered by the new faucet, I wouldn't let it keep me awake at night. If it will show after the new faucet is installed, try finding an escutcheon that will cover it.
rtaImage

Before covering it, to arrest the progress of the rust, sand it a bit, and apply some epoxy or something on it.

pumice stone will clean the tub, remove stains

look under yellow pages for a tub restorer in your area, he can resurface the bad areas

or..slap a escutecion on it

you need to get rid of ALL the rust then prime paint the metal or the rust will continue.

old saying, rust never sleeps, it creeps and creeps

Latest posts

Back