Flange issues on 3" drain pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojloaf

Reaction score
Im installing a bathroom for a friend and ive gotten to the point where the tile is down (around a protruding 3" drain pipe that was roughed in 20+ years ago) and all thats left to do is put the toilet in. I just cant seem to find the proper flange to use.

The problem is I cant use a flange that fits over top the pipe because there isnt enough of it under the tile surface to work with. I chipped away not even a half inch of concrete before the tile and thats where the pipe enters the 90 fitting. So my options are finding a flange that fits INSIDE the 3" pipe OR try and remove the pipe from its 90 fitting and insert the flange that i have which was the smallest diameter i could find (3" exactly, same diamater as the protruding pipe).

What do you guys suggest? The flange in the pictures below is what i was given at a plumbing store i visited today and specifically asked for a flange that would fit inside a 3" pipe, but it turns out its just a 3" insert itself. Do i go back and get a smaller one if it exists or should i attempt to remove the pipe and insert the 3" flange directly into the 90 fitting? It would be at a pretty good depth height for me if i did option 2.

Maybe there is another solution i cant think of? Thanks in advanced. Here are some pictures

20170112_163405.jpg

20170112_163438.jpg

20170112_163513.jpg

Flanges that fit inside 3" pipe do exist, I don't care to use them. It looks like in your situation you may end up with the flange too high having the elbow flush with the floor like that.

I would split/peel the pipe out of the elbow, and then have a hub insert flange on top of the finished tile. That should give you a good connection.

PVC has inside 3" flanges not sure about ABS dont use it.

Latest posts

Back