Increasing hot water temperature

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexanCowboy

Reaction score
I want to increase the hot water temperature limit on the shower (the kitchen and dishwasher output hotter water than the shower, so it's not a heating issue).

I took apart the shower (the fixtures are hansgrohe but I'm not sure of the valve), but it's not evident to me how to change the hot water limit. The plastic part of the valve doesn't rotate, and I'm not sure what the purpose of the perpendicular torx screw is (see attached pics)

Anyone familiar with this type of valve? And know how to change the hot water limit?

Thank you for the help!!

IMG_20161207_120621.jpg

IMG_20161207_120624.jpg

IMG_20161207_120627.jpg

Last edited:
That is a pressure balanced/scald guard valve. It will not exceed 110F by design.

If you want scalding temperatures, you'll need to replace it with a valve that's not pressure balanced/scald guard.

Look in the handle to see if the plastic gear is still in it. I believe that has another half to it.

I took apart the handle a week ago and was still confused about the limit. There isn't a plastic stop like traditional valves. There is a metal adapter attached to the valve stem that fits into the handle. The stem rotates the same distance with or without the handle. There is a plastic ring o-ring that sits there like a traditional valve (it just says to place back after adjusting hot water temp).

A metal nut fastens the valve cartridge to the shower pipes. The gray part doesnt come out unless the metal ring is removed. I've attached pics for clarity. Above the handle is a diverter for a hand spray, FYI.

The perpendicular torx screw seems to serve no purpose. I removed it for fun, but have no idea what its for still. I will pull out the whole cartridge next to see what the whole thing looks like. (I tried a week ago but it was tough to get out and I didn't want to break anything. so I just put the shower back together)

It seems to me that there isnt a changeable limit setting. I think johnlewismcleod maybe correct in the the value itself needs to be replaced to increase temps. Warm isn't cutting it in freezing outside temps!

IMG_20161219_225509.jpg

IMG_20161219_225532.jpg

IMG_20161211_144401.jpg

IMG_20161211_144357.jpg

IMG_20161211_144047.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back