Reducing Water Pressure via In-Ground Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erichpeterson

Reaction score
Hi,
I just purchased a rental home, and was told during the inspection that the water pressure was too high (100 psi). I have noticed that there is an in-ground water box between the house of the shut-off valve, that has a faucet handle and can be used to turn off / on the water to the house.

I was wondering if I could simply put a water pressure gauge on an outside spigot and slowly tighten the faucet in the ground until the psi is brought down to a normal level. Or, must I install a pressure regulator?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
I just purchased a rental home, and was told during the inspection that the water pressure was too high (100 psi). I have noticed that there is an in-ground water box between the house of the shut-off valve, that has a faucet handle and can be used to turn off / on the water to the house.

I was wondering if I could simply put a water pressure gauge on an outside spigot and slowly tighten the faucet in the ground until the psi is brought down to a normal level. Or, must I install a pressure regulator?

Thanks.

you will need a pressure reducing valve

just turning the handle will not reduce pressure it will reduce volume and increase velocity,

like when you put your thumb over the garden hose

Pressure reducing valve. Do it right. If not, you are going to ruin your faucets, etc.

Latest posts

Back