Bladder tank pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasr1

Reaction score
Hi
I installed a new WellxTrol wx202xl and all the new fittings.
It has a 40-60 pressure switch.
i was under the impression that the tank was pre charged to 38 lbs
after i filled with water and ran some fixtures the pump runs and guage reads 50 lbs.

Question: after it fills the tank and turns off the pump should i not read around 60 lbs?
not sure if than pressure is wrong of if switch needs adjustment?

Thanks for any advics in advance

Doug

The pressure gauge does not read air pressure in the tank, it reads water pressure. To determine your air pressure, drain the tank and put an air gauge on the valve stem at the top.

Most switches come 30/50psi. You can adjust it to 40/60. Most brands have instructions on adjusting the pressure on the underside of the cap.

Question: after it fills the tank and turns off the pump should i not read around 60 lbs?
You should read the same pressure that is on your gauge and where the pressure switch is set to turn the pump off. The water going into the tank under pressure also pressurizes the air in the tank which should be preset at 38 psi.

Last edited:

You should read the same pressure that is on your gauge and where the pressure switch is set to turn the pump off.

The water going into the tank under pressure also pressurizes the air in the tank which should be preset at 38 psi.

This with a 40/60 switch, correct. The tank air pressure is usually set two to five PSI below high water pressure (concern over air pressure gauge accuracy), correct?

The tank initial air pressure setting would only be set @ the final house pressure on a TET application.

In addition-

Pressure tanks (and TET) usually are pre-charged so hopefully not to be damaged in transit. There are Federal Regulations as to how much pressure they can be shipped with.

You always adjust the air pressure @ install to be comparable with your finally set water system pressure.

Last edited:
This with a 40/60 switch, correct. The tank air pressure is usually set two to five PSI below high water pressure (concern over air pressure gauge accuracy), correct?

The tank initial air pressure setting would only be set @ the final house pressure on a TET application.

In addition-

Pressure tanks (and TET) usually are pre-charged so hopefully not to be damaged in transit. There are Federal Regulations as to how much pressure they can be shipped with.
We are talking about a Well X Trol bladder tank used in a well application. Not a water heater tank. And where did you google up the info that tanks are precharged to prevent damage in shipping???

And why do you think they are shipped pre-charged?
I don't think, I know they are pre-charged because home owners don't normally have air compressors and the manufacturer does that to check them before shipping. Being pre-charged or not would have nothing whatsoever to do with damage in shipping.

I don't think, :confused: I know :confused:

they are pre-charged because home owners don't normally have air compressors and the manufacturer does that to check them before shipping. Being pre-charged or not would have nothing whatsoever to do with damage in shipping.

If no pre-charge, the diaphragm could easily be damaged during shipping/warehousing.

If the homeowner doesn't have the correct tools, he needs to farm it out.

What if a different pre-charge amount is needed? Send it back for exchange or buy a bicycle pump?

If no pre-charge, the diaphragm could easily be damaged during shipping/warehousing.

If the homeowner doesn't have the correct tools, he needs to farm it out.

What if a different pre-charge amount is needed? Send it back for exchange or buy a bicycle pump?
Do you like arguing with me about something you know absolutely nothing about? Or don't you have anything else to do?

Do you like arguing with me about something you know absolutely nothing about? Or don't you have anything else to do?

I don't enjoy arguing you at all.

If a poster asks a question he is entitled to an honest answer. Both can answer with an IMO.

Oh! Did you find on your GOOGLE search why tanks are shipped pre-charged yet?

Your panties seem to be becoming bunched again. Maybe you want to pull them out a little.

If a poster asks a question he is entitled to an honest answer. Both can answer with an IMO.
Yes they do want an honest answer, not a google search that may or may not even come come close to an honest answer. Most posters asking questions can do their own google search and come up with the same crap you are quoting, that's why they ask people who actually have hands on experience and know the answers.

Yes they do want an honest answer, not a google search that may or may not even come come close to an honest answer. Most posters asking questions can do their own google search and come up with the same crap you are quoting, that's why they ask people who actually have hands on experience and know the answers.

:confused:

...you still b!tching?

Show me one place I presented incorrect information?

FYI- Having bought a house on well/septic, I had to educate myself as it seems all plumbers are trained in a different manner and all have differing opinions as to how to go about something (same for the filtering industry), which is fine if you have the money, which I don't.

It is called self education. Once you think you know it all and refuse to keep up with new tech, you are a danger (again, IMO). I worked on cars for years and every model run there was something new to learn. You had to keep up.

Now if I upset you so badly, you need to vent your frustration(s) to the GRAND POO-PAH and not me. He will throttle me if need be, not you.

I will continue to offer my opinions until I am asked to leave. This is a public forum designed to exchange information, not a forum entitled THE PLUMBING WORLD PER speedbump.

:rolleyes: ...sheesh...

Please guys. You are both well respected members here, so please ease off on the nasty comments. We sure don't need any more turmoil.

He doesn't need to advertise. I would appreciate speedbump and his vast knowledge to stick around. He has been an asset to this forum since it started.

Thanks Chris, and for the sake of advertising. I sold my business, Forum and Website several months ago. My signature that Kultulz refer's to is a link to the Frequently asked questions on the Website. If that's advertising, I'm guilty.

Latest posts

Back