At my wit's end...basement floor drains...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpneededinnky

Reaction score
I am at my wit's end and hoping someone has some advice that will help with this issue.

We have two basement floor drains and one of them has begun to smell very bad -- like sewage. But we have no backup, they both drain well, and are not dry. The other strange thing is that the smell is not there during the summer months. In fact, the cooler it is outside, the worse the smell. It's getting to the point that I can't even have people over because I'm embarrassed about the smell.

Here is some history:

1. We live in a river community -- about a mile to the east and to the north from two rivers.

2. There is a faint bad smell that exists from the storm sewers in the area in general.

3. No other neighbors seem to have similar such issues.

4. We've had a major plumbing and drain company out and they have told us there isn't much they can do -- basically, it is what it is -- which is not acceptable to us.

5. We've tried some commercially available treatments but with minimal success.

We just don't know what to do next. It's quite frustrating and we want to handle the issue once and for all. Any suggestions/advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

FYI -- for general purposes, we are located in northern Kentucky -- not sure if the geographic location has any bearing on the issue.

where is the ac drain located ? wintr months the ac is not being used and the p trap on the ac drain dries out
letting funk into your duct system.

173035d1469632701-ac-condensate-drain-vent-blowing-cold-image.png

Location of Drains.jpg

to check my theory, plug the drain, see if the smell disappears, a simple cap on the pipe, not glued will work

you can also, plug the floor drain during winter months, unplug when summer comes around

Last edited:
There is a product called a trap seal you can try. You just need to know the size of the pipe and weather it is cast or pvc. It just fits right into the base of the floor drain. No major work required. If the smell is coming from your drains this should fix it. But if it is coming from some where else then it won't help. Do you have any other plumbing in the basement? Like sump pump, clean outs or a bath room?

Back