Running 3" ABS in 4" Orangeburg pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisnorris

Reaction score
Hello!
A little background info 1st.
I had a sewer clogged by a root a while back. Clog was out at the end of my driveway under the concrete. I broke the concrete and dug around the area of the clog. The root entered where the 4' Orangeburg that runs from the house connects to an ABS elbow.
I cut out the the bad spot and replaced it with ABS and no-hub couplers.
As far as I know it is ABS all the way from this repair area to the city sewer.
But from the repair area at the end of the driveway all the way back to the side of my house at the cleanout is a 45' ft. stretch of 4" Orangeburg pipe that is under concrete and pavers. The house was built almost 50 years ago so its close to the end of its life.

This 45 ft. stretch was inspected by a plumber with a camera and was told it seemed to be in good condition, only a few small roots coming in at one of the seams. But, he said it was only a short matter of time before it will need replacing.

A friend of mine suggested that I increase the size of the hole I already dug up for the root repair (I haven't back filled it yet) to where it was large enough to lower lengths of 3" ABS pipe into the hole and then run them into the 4" Orangeburg pipe all the way up to the cleanout by the house.

He said he and his father did this at one of his rentals years ago at one of their rentals and the sewer worked fine ever since.

It IS a straight shot from the driveway to the cleanout and the Orangeburg is still round as far as I can tell.

I tried looking into this "method" online and couldn't find a result. I sounds half plausible, but I figured I would ask you folks here if you have heard of this being done., and if so what the results were.

I'm under a tight budget and would have to bust all the concrete and dig it up myself and do it the right way. I'm 59 years old and those kind of projects are getting less fun as the years go by.

So, running lengths of 3" ABS inside the 4" Orangeburg sounds like a tempting option, but I'm concerned I may be just creating problems for myself while installing or in the future.

Like I said though, my friend, who is pretty handy says it worked for him. Still I would like to hear some other opinions about it.
What do you think?

Last edited:
there is a technique of pulling new pipe through old pipe.
It incorporates a wedge head that is pulled through the old pipe, splitting it and pulling the new pipe in behind it. Never seen it done though.

The problem with trying to push 3" up a 4" is I don't think you will get a 3" coupling inside the 4" unless you use that thin wall pipe that is used for area drains. The couplings are thinner

https://www.rotorooter.com/blog/4-types-of-sewer-linings-for-cracked-pipes/

Last edited:
there is a technique of pulling new pipe through old pipe.
It incorporates a wedge head that is pulled through the old pipe, splitting it and pulling the new pipe in behind it. Never seen it done though.

The problem with trying to push 3" up a 4" is I don't think you will get a 3" coupling inside the 4" unless you use that thin wall pipe that is used for area drains. The couplings are thinner

https://www.rotorooter.com/blog/4-types-of-sewer-linings-for-cracked-pipes/

Thank David and John for the replies.

No, I don't think a 3" ABS coupler will fit in a 4" Orangeburg either. My friend said he put 45 degree chamfer bevel on the inside edge of one end of pipe and 45 chamfer bevel on the outside edge of the mating end of the other pipe. He then glued these ends together and wrapped the seam with some kind of epoxy tape. He then would push it inside the 4" until he got to the end to add another piece. That's how he got the pipe to fit. Also said he used a sledge hammer and a board to pound on the end of the pipe to push it along in spots.

I think I'm going to have to take a REAL GOOD look at the inside of that pipe to be sure its not too out of round somewhere. I can undo the no-hub coupler at my repair and take a flashlight zip-tied to an electrician's fish tape and push it down the pipe and see.
Once again, Thank You!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back